Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What to do with my Subaru????

RX7FD
01-12-2003, 12:16 AM
Well I have painted the body on my Subaru WRC quite some time ago and its been on hold for a while due to school. Now I have some time to finish it but I do not know what to do. The body is painted alrite but has a little orange peel and is dull, it is not clearcoated, I tried wetsanding it and also using compound but in both cases I had to respray it because all that I acomplished was getting some paint off the body. Should I just leave it as is, if not what is something else I can do, I dont want to repaint it though because I already went through 1 and a half cans of paint and I still need to paint the collcage and spoiler.

-Thanks

Hiroboy
01-12-2003, 03:47 AM
I have uploaded an PDF article on getting a great paint finish which was in Finescale Modeler a while back, which is very helpful

http://www.spc.org.uk/misc/finescale.jpg

polished-to-perfection.pdf (http://www.spc.org.uk/misc/polished-to-perfection.pdf)

Steve

daggerlee
01-12-2003, 08:11 AM
That was a great article, but you don't need to go up to 12,000 if you have a good polishing compound like Tamiya compound. You can stop at 3200 or 4000 and go straight to the polish.

935k3
01-12-2003, 08:47 AM
You should clear coat that paint so you are polishing the clear and not the paint. It's always a good idea to clear coat metallics. Without clear that paint in particular rubs through to easy. Before clear caoting clean all residues from polishes you may have used.

RX7FD
01-12-2003, 03:36 PM
Hiroboy, that article is very helpful, thanks.

935k3, how many coats would you recommend??? Also its very old here so I dont know how good of an idea it is to be painting.

Hiroboy
01-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by RX7FD
Also its very old here so I dont know how good of an idea it is to be painting.
OLD :eek:

RX7FD
01-12-2003, 06:28 PM
I meant cold, my bad
:toothless

935k3
01-12-2003, 07:21 PM
Hiroboy, that article is very helpful, thanks.

935k3, how many coats would you recommend??? Also its very old here so I dont know how good of an idea it is to be painting.

At least 3 maybe 4. Put a couple let dry overnight and sand with 2000 or higher grit then another 1 or 2 coats. If you can get the painted stuff insude quickly after painting you should be able to paint ok.

chaos
01-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Just wondering what brand of clear you guys use. Can I use tamiya x22 acrylic clear and if so, can I shoot this through a airbrush?

RX7FD
01-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 935k3

At least 3 maybe 4. Put a couple let dry overnight and sand with 2000 or higher grit then another 1 or 2 coats. If you can get the painted stuff insude quickly after painting you should be able to paint ok.

So after the 2nd coats should I use compound then wax and im done??

935k3
01-12-2003, 08:46 PM

So after the 2nd coats should I use compound then wax and im done??
Yes. Let the final coats dry a couple days though. One word of caution always beware of sharp edges and other similar areas that rub through quicker like that raised peak that circles around the air intake on the hood and the sharp top edges on the fender bulges. If you do rub through you can touch up by spraying some of the mica blue in the lid and careffully brushing along edge or tightly mask the edge and airbrush.

RX7FD
01-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Alrite, thanks everyone, tell me if i got everything right just in case: on tues im gonna spray my body with clear 3 or 4 times. Then sand it down with 2000 or higher grit sandpaper (will the tamiya finishing abraisives or whatever they are called be ok?) Then i will spray a couple more coats of clear. After that i will apply compound, rub it in and wipe it off, then wax, and im done. Right??

-Thanks

935k3
01-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Alrite, thanks everyone, tell me if i got everything right just in case: on tues im gonna spray my body with clear 3 or 4 times. Then sand it down with 2000 or higher grit sandpaper (will the tamiya finishing abraisives or whatever they are called be ok?) Then i will spray a couple more coats of clear. After that i will apply compound, rub it in and wipe it off, then wax, and im done. Right??

-Thanks
Yes!:jumpie:

Add your comment to this topic!