Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tamiya decal woes

lotus_man
01-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Hum, building the Toms Supra, which was never gonna be the easiest decal job in the world. What I forgot was that the decals are very old, thick Tamiya ones. I can't get them to conform using any trick I know. Micro-set/Sol works, but leaves the decal a bit wrinkly. The hot towel trick isn't working either (the decals just crack, even on flat surfaces!)

Does any one have any ideas before I lose my mind? I seem to be having more trouble with these decals than any others I've ever tried!

935k3
01-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Get your hands on some Microscale Liquid Decal Film. Brushit on over the decals(on the sheet). It creates and invisible carrier film that keeps decals from cracking.

Asmenoth
01-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Oddly enough, I just finished that kit. I brushed on micro sol and/or micro set and tried to get the decal to settle down. After some positioning of the decal and brushing on of the solution, I pressed the decal to the body with a dry towel, it soaked up the extra water and setting solution and the decal conformed to the car. A few days later, after the decals had fully dried, they had compleatly conformed to the body. Good luck, that was one of the most "interesting" experiences with decals yet. I spent almost as much time on the decals as I did the car itself. :sun:

primera man
01-10-2003, 08:54 PM
A hair dryer waved over the decal for around 5-6 seconds is a good idea. Just be careful not to do it for to long or get to close. A distance of around 10" is OK

Vric
01-11-2003, 09:06 AM
I made this kit few week ago...

my trick ? i use a lamp light.. the light is warm so I place the decal, they heat it with the light (take it easy, it can be over heated) if made corectly, it made a perfect job

I use this on all my model now..

Vric
01-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by primera man
A hair dryer waved over the decal for around 5-6 seconds is a good idea. Just be careful not to do it for to long or get to close. A distance of around 10" is OK

I did than one time... when I try the air dryer.. decal come off... and I still looking for it for 6 month :p :D

Use a light like I sayd.. no air so it wont move the decal

Add your comment to this topic!