98 monte carlo keyless entry

shoebox1955
01-04-2003, 03:38 PM
hi, I am new here and was needing information on programming a keyless entry for a 98 monte carlo LS
thanks

Shortbus
01-06-2003, 09:02 AM
Transmitter Programming
Perform this procedure when any of the following conditions exist:

The RKE programming connector (BLK/WHT wire) is grounded (CKT 1455).
The RCDLR is replaced.
A keyless remote transmitter is replaced.
A second (up to a total of 4) keyless remote transmitter is added.
Programming Procedure

Important
If the vehicle has more than one keyless entry transmitter, ensure that all of the keyless entry transmitters are programmed during the same programming sequence. Any keyless entry transmitters that are not programmed will not work correctly.

Open the rear compartment lid.
Pull aside the right side compartment trim in order to gain access. Refer to Compartment Side Trim Replacement - RH Rear in Body Rear End.

Use a jumper wire with alligator clips in order to ground the RKE programming connector. The door locks will lock and unlock. This action indicates that the RCDLR has entered the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.
While the programming connector is still grounded, program each of the keyless entry transmitters, one at a time. Press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the first keyless entry transmitter. Hold the buttons for 10 seconds. The door locks will lock and unlock. This action indicates that the keyless entry transmitter has been programmed.
Repeat Step 4 for the remaining keyless entry transmitters. You may program as many as 4 keyless entry transmitters.
Remove the jumper wire from the RKE programming connector terminal.
Verify that the keyless entry transmitters operate correctly.
Install the right side rear compartment trim. Refer to Compartment Side Trim Replacement - RH Rear in Body Rear End.
Close the rear compartment lid.
Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID # 518630
1998 Chevrolet/Geo Monte Carlo

shoebox1955
01-09-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I tried it but it didnt work. The battery is good but no luck. How can I be sure that the remote I bought is the right one?
The number on the back is 10443537
Thanks

Shortbus
01-09-2003, 10:23 PM
These are tough to get the transmitters to program. Are you sure you grounded the terminal to a piece of unpainted metal inside of the trunk?
This is the main thing you have to do, test your ground if you need to. I will double check that part number you posted and get back with you. In the mean time double check your ground source if it is weak this procedure will not work.

BTW wellcome to AF:) and thanks for your post.

shoebox1955
01-09-2003, 11:05 PM
I think I had it grounded properly. The doors and the trunk locked and unlocked when I grounded the wire.
Thanks

Shortbus
01-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by shoebox1955
How can I be sure that the remote I bought is the right one?
The number on the back is 10443537
Thanks

Ok I see your problem know, the remote you have 10443537 is for 2001,2002, and 2003 monte carlos only. The part number you need is a 16245103 get this number transmitter and your problem should be solved.

shoebox1955
01-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Ok Thanks alot for your help :)

shoebox1955
01-10-2003, 05:26 PM
I guess thats what I get for buying a remote on ebay. I guess I will have to look for another one . Thanks again

Add your comment to this topic!