Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

XF-56 Metallic grey = What Testors/Alclad/whatever metalizer?

daggerlee
12-31-2002, 07:06 PM
I'm trying to replace the grainy metallic finish of my Tamiya acrylic metalizers with the smoother finish of enamels and lacquer metalizers. However, I don't know what "Metallic grey" equals...Does anybody know?

freakray
12-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Hey Dan,
On the cross reference charts I have, they don't list any equivalents, but I have used Testors Steel as a substitute when I ran out of XF-56.
I don't know what the Alclad equivalent would be.

Ray

daggerlee
12-31-2002, 08:37 PM
Testors steel eh? Time to pick up Model Masters steel metalizer (already have the stainless). Thanks :)

935k3
12-31-2002, 09:00 PM
I use magnesium metalizer, I think it's closer in color to X56 than steel

Guido
01-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by freakray
Hey Dan,
On the cross reference charts I have, they don't list any equivalents, but I have used Testors Steel as a substitute when I ran out of XF-56.
I don't know what the Alclad equivalent would be.

Ray

Same here, and I like the Testors one better. Metalizing effect is smoother.

daggerlee
01-03-2003, 03:01 PM
What about titanium?

hiver77
01-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by daggerlee
What about titanium?

titanium is darker.

Eerrr... never mind... didnt see you want metallic grey (and not silver :rolleyes: ).

RallyRaider
01-04-2003, 05:51 AM
If your just trying to upgrade from Tamiya Acrylics, why not try their enamels? They seem to double up all the colours of the acrylic range in enamel too. I've just recently tried them, including XF-56 and found them to be pretty good.

On the Metalizer front, Alcalad are the best but they don't really do a dark colour similar to what you're interested in. That leaves Testors Metalizers which are almost as good as Alcalad but a bit anouying in that you have to seal them with a special clear coat or they rub off, they also can't be masked normally. They have lots of differrent hues, you're sure to find one that will be suitable. I'd suggest 'Dark Anodonic Grey' or 'Titanium' as alternatives, maybe even 'Gunmetal'. Just to be clear this is the Testors Metalizer range not the metalics in their normal range.

Add your comment to this topic!