Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Honda Beat in Japan

Jay!
09-30-2001, 12:15 AM
Here are two pics of a Honda Beat my friend took for me when she was in Japan. We'll never ever see this car in America. There's just no way it would ever survive crash testing. :(

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/922169beat.JPG
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/320044beat2.JPG

Moppie
09-30-2001, 12:21 AM
Theres quite a few of them here, there quite funky little cars, and have a real cool almost motor bike like exhasut noise.
There not fast but but handle well, and are apprently lots of fun to drive.

Racing Rice
10-01-2001, 12:45 PM
Its the mini version of the S2000

DVSNCYNIKL
10-01-2001, 01:09 PM
I could wear one of them as a rollerblade for crying out loud!:D

JD@af
10-09-2001, 05:10 PM
There's this awesome little Ford called the Puma that you can get in Europe, a smaller cousin of the Focus. The Puma rocks, but like this Honda, it will never see our shores because being side-swiped by one of the ubiquitous SUVs this country is over-run by would mean certain death. Sorry, I never have been an SUV fan, and I doubt I ever will be.

Jay!
10-09-2001, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by JD@af
Sorry, I never have been an SUV fan, and I doubt I ever will be. Here, here!!! :D

JD@af
10-09-2001, 05:20 PM
Without getting too deep into a political discussion here, I am against most liberal policies that restrict our freedoms, and take responsibily and individualized-decision-making choices away from the people (for example gun control laws, and laws emplaced to stop the use of cell phones by motorists), but when it comes to SUVs, I think they are just pointless. In this age where we really need to be more conscientious about energy comsumption, SUVs are undeniably a step in the wrong direction. That's just the tip of the iceberg why they should be outlawed. But I know they are way too popular for this to happen. So I just hope this "fad" is a short-lived one.

Hudson
10-10-2001, 01:19 PM
The Beat is a "kei" car or microcar. In order to fall into this category, it must fit into a certain dimensional "box" (so long, so wide, etc). It also must have an engine under 660cc. All of these dimensions make it smaller than anything on sale in the US. While the Beat is interesting (mid-engined convertible, turbo 660cc engine), it would not go over well in the States. I believe it's also out of production.

The Puma is not related to the Focus. The Puma is based on the Fiesta/Ka platform. It's a sharp car and I have seen a few roaming around Michigan...but they, too, are too small for US tastes.

As for the SUV argument, the "fad" has gone on much longer than I feel is necessary. There are needs that SUVs fill (towing while hauling four-to-nine adults), but, honestly, how many times do you see Suburbans (Explorers, Durangos, Land Cruisers, etc) pulling anything or carrying more than the driver?

If you're towing, get a pickup. If you're hauling people, get a minivan. If you're not doing either, get a car.

Setanta
11-10-2001, 06:36 AM
I have pics somewhere of my little girl sitting in one when she was 4 at the Sydney Motor show. I prefer the Suzuki Cappaucino though. Same concept, just a little better execution.

dejoux
11-10-2001, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by JD@af
for example gun control laws, and laws emplaced to stop the use of cell phones by motorists

I agree with these policies as its usually the person who has no interest in these things that gets hurt when something goes wrong. ie Inocent people getting shot when the gun gets into the wrong hands or a person crashing into someone else while talking on the phone.

I too prefer the Suzuki Cappucino, I wouldnt buy either but I was quite impressed with the Suzuki. These two cars are more in the tradition of were sports cars came from like the Austin 7 Ulster and OHC MG Midgets.

JD@af
11-11-2001, 04:55 AM
I see your point, and while on the one hand you're absolutely right, on the other hand I stand my ground and defend my position, as these laws are difficult to enforce and I feel will not do much good. Numerous data sources have shown that these laws fail to cut crime rates, and that places where citizens are enabled to own and carry guns have significantly lower crime rates. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Setanta
11-11-2001, 08:05 AM
ummm... gun control works in my country - hands free usage of mobiles in cars seems to be catching on too :)

sindogg
01-05-2002, 05:21 AM
somebody lost there hot wheel.

JasonAccord98LX
01-06-2002, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by sindogg
somebody lost there hot wheel.

?

Add your comment to this topic!