Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Models as a business/hobby shop?

clatescivicr
12-27-2002, 11:21 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering do any of you own or work at a hobby shop that specializes in model cars? I was curious if there is a significant net profit from them? Also do you think hobby shops are a good business to get into since most kids these days just want the instant satisfaction? I was just really curious about this... Thanks inadvance!

pcmodeler
12-28-2002, 01:24 AM
Are you talking cars only?

What I've seen for some guys is selling from the garage. Essentially, I know a few people doing OK that do internet sales and load up a van and sell at hobby shows. Extremely low overhead.

supratuner
12-28-2002, 08:16 AM
im in michigan right now and ie noticed a lot of hobby shops up here, in NC there are very few:(

one that i went to a few days ago in Portage Michigan named R & L hobbies and racing had RC stuff as well as plastic models
they also had a racing track for RCs
they were busy, it blew my mind how busy they were!

it just depends where u are, on how much a hobby shop makes

clatescivicr
12-28-2002, 09:06 AM
Not necessarily just cars but possibly in the beginning, but also have paints and accesories.

There are actually 2 within 20 mins of each other but one has a bad location and the guy is closed right now due to illness :(. This guy is more int RC stuff but does have quite a bit of paints has some model car kits but not a good selection in my opinion. Then the other place has a prime location but his prices are a little high and has some nice models. I would want to specialize in more of the "JDM" models since the other place only has a few brands and charges quite a bit for them. They also have a lot of accessories. This one usually a few people in there evertime I come in and I know they are paying lot of there location so they must be making it. Also they have a lot of RC and model air plane stuff.

I was curious about this because after I started doing this model, I could see myself doing this as a profression since its based on how hard do YOU want to work and you don't have to worry about a boss. So maybe sometime you guys will be able to order from me.

AF Group Buys :D

Add your comment to this topic!