Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

tuning

Major Blud
09-28-2001, 11:07 PM
how do miata's responde to FA and NA tuning, dose there have to be alot of inturnal moding like rods and pistons to advoid braking ? what about cylinder walls would they warp if FA was used ? tannys / rear ends week, strong ?

and i have herd about crank problems but dont know much about it any one know ?

i dont know any thing about miata's othere than they are a blast to drive.

Chris
10-20-2001, 08:32 PM
You can get a Jackson supercharger, and they are very reliable and there are no internal mods.

NB8CT
11-30-2001, 12:52 AM
Miatas respond very well to both kinds of tunning. FI is prefered if levels of over 200rwhp are wanted. If you go NA you will lose drivability as you reach the 160~170 rwhp mark due to idle quality and the like. As far as FI goes there is a lot of power that can be had from the 1.8. For example power output ranges from about 170rwhp from a supercharger, to over 400 rwhp from a highly tuned turbo motor. Keep in mind though that the 400rwhp car that I mention is running a TECII engine computor, able to monitor and tune much more than the piggyback that comes with most turbo kits for the miata. On cars running piggybacks or people who want to be safe 12psi is the limit on the stock block, before having to invest in some internal work. However, when using a tunning computor such as the TECII ( not to forget, Motec and the like) boost pressures can rise greatly, for example the miniMonster miata that hits 400rwhp and ran an 10.98 in the 1/4 is running a T3/T4 with TecII at an amazing 26psi on the stock block. If that isn't a testament to good tuning I don't know what is. As far a trannies go, it depends how you use it with the power. The miniMonster just killed his 7th tranny, but remember he is doing drag launches all day long. On my car I am going to stop at ~280rwhp mark, becuase I know the car's drivetrain can handle it, and it sounds like a good number for everyday driving and reliablity. Hope this helped ya!

FMTurbo90
05-08-2002, 09:03 AM
Man, you guys are really making me antzy to get my engine out of the machine shop and get it up and running.

A few more things about FI miatas,

The crank issue you mentioned is only applicable to 90 and 91 cars, after that mazda went to a newly designed crank nose to keep them from breaking (in the earlier cars, the keyway for the crank pulley is weak and can break on some cars, of course, causing engine failure). the 94 and up cars seem to be a little better suited to FI mainly due to the larger displacement, but the 1.6 is just as much fun, and in most cases, cheaper to get started. but once you want more, it gets expensive. boost is addictive, the new engine i'm building will be running about 20psi on pump gas on a miata Link ECU, built block, and T3/T4 turbo.
any way you go with the miata, it will always be fun to drive, whether NA, Turbo'd, or SC'd. enjoy...:D

NB8CT
05-19-2002, 02:04 PM
Sounds like its gonna be fun! Is it a full custom kit?

OneFastMiata
05-26-2002, 07:58 PM
Miata Tuning. I have 4 miatae and 3 RX7, but not all of em are on the sight yet.

WWW.OURPAD.ORG/JENN

http://www.speedtoys.com/~dbsupra/videos/Jenn%20Burnout.mpeg

DarkHorse
09-02-2002, 07:06 AM
Miatas respond great out of the box to FI applications. The engine in a miata was sourced from the SOHC 323 GTX Turbo. The compression is higher, and the head is DOHC, but it still retains much of the source motor's strengths.

A miata engine can take 17psi daily driven when properly tuned without ever opening the engine. There are many examples of this, it's literally a bolt-on 200hp.

Little things such as oil squirters under the pistons are what make miatas so great.

Check the compression in your cylinders, change your gas, and boost away! It really is a snap.

Of the weaknesses of the FI Miatas, most people will tell you that the open diff is subject to snaps, but the torsen or RX-7 lsd make bulletproof replacements. The factory clutch will be toast if you overboost without adressing it of course.

All this and more in the www.miataforum.com
But search heavily before you ask any questions, tons of people ask the same questions every day.

Add your comment to this topic!