Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Server Idea

Chris
12-22-2002, 10:21 PM
Well, servers dont really need a *powerful* CPU to run really well; they need lots of RAM and fast Hdd's. RAID 5 is a good way to go, though, as it has good read rates, and since AF doesn't do nearly as many writes as reads. I assume those are 15k rpm drives? Those should be good....
OF course, you should have a few T3 lines twisted, to get some good bandwidth.
I would also recommend a good RAMDrive, for some of the most common threads that arents stored in RAM. They have great transfer rates (the mobo u have should have 64bit pci slots, so you can have 500mb/sec bandwidth), and <.1ms seek time. A good 1 or 2 4gb models should do well, methinks.

Any way, I hope to be able to surf without being kicked:)

Deakins
12-23-2002, 09:02 AM
Or you could keep Car Modeling and Honda/Acura on this server, and move everything else to the new :D

york2600
12-31-2002, 02:55 PM
I was wondering about the hard drive setup. While RAID 5 is great for data it's pretty standard to run a RAID mirror setup with 2 drives for the system. It sepperates your drives while still providing redundancy on the system side.

-Tim

Chris
01-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Well, RAID 5 also provides data redundancy. And it is faster than RAID 1. I would be inclined to say have a large RAID 0 array, and back it up every few days onto a regular IDE or tape drive.

Add your comment to this topic!