Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Making headers

Hawk312
12-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Hey all. I am trying to build something in 1/16 that is supposed to have headers, but regular manifolds came with the kit. Has anyone tried making their own set of headers? I tried looking for some solder since that is bendable, but I cant seem to find anything bigger than 1/10 of an inch, which about 1 1/2" scale. Any tips?

TheSyndicate
12-18-2002, 06:43 PM
I'd say to use epoxy putty and form it into x amount of cylindrical rods, then combine them in to headers, but you should probably look around hardware stores for some sort of bendable metal.

Murco
12-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Hawk312
Hey all. I am trying to build something in 1/16 that is supposed to have headers, but regular manifolds came with the kit. Has anyone tried making their own set of headers? I tried looking for some solder since that is bendable, but I cant seem to find anything bigger than 1/10 of an inch, which about 1 1/2" scale. Any tips?
Solder is the first choice, copper is the second! Look for the K&S metals stand at your hobby shop and buy all the copper tubing you see that even looks like it's what you want. When these tubes are heated they bend quite easily and hold there shape better. Use a butane torch to heat them and pure silver solder to weld them together, it looks fantastic!! If you know someone who can plate nickel (like a jeweler) he can chrome them for you, it'll look AWESOME!!
I'll do a thread on this one day (along with making turbos, frames, and wheels too....from metal!!)

Add your comment to this topic!