Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

What is the BEST street racing car?

Pages : [1] 2 3

SeanSays2U
12-15-2002, 05:44 PM
OK, first time post here, and the first thing I notice is the little smilie flipin me off, doesn't that go against the terms?

OK, to the point, what is the best street racing car to buy, and that doesn't require to buy a new engine and so on?

kris
12-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by SeanSays2U
OK, first time post here, and the first thing I notice is the little smilie flipin me off, doesn't that go against the terms?

No.

Neutrino
12-15-2002, 09:03 PM
Well considering there are no restrictions on what car I woud say a supercar like the Enzo unless the street has potholes cuz that would suck.

-The Stig-
12-15-2002, 09:20 PM
Hmm well that question is so vague you'll get every owner type who will say they're brand of car is best...

But your restriction on not swaping motors... hmmm

Well Just about any classic domestic can be turned into a boulevard bruiser with just a few bolt ons, including the newer F-Body LT-1s and LS-1s.

Most imports also have a good engine to base off of, Hondas can be made decently quick with bolt-ons. Turbos and Superchargers are popular.

I guess it just narrows down to what your prefferences are. Im sure whatever that is somebody here can help you with your choice.

Cyprus106
12-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Honda's are easy to fix up and have a huge collection of nice little parts as well. You didn't put many restrictions on here, I was guessing typical street racing cars, not supercars or anything. Maybe a 'Teg GSR to start out with.

If you don't mean typical, but still street racers, I'm going to say Skyline (GTR). Cuz those are insane and they're like the street machine all the civics, maximas and 'tegs want to be when they grow up.

Cbass
12-16-2002, 09:47 AM
Cyprus, in all seriousness, how do you argue Hondas are the best cars for street racing when you can't swap engines?

I'd say go for a 1970 Copo Nova... Lightweight, big block, can't really go wrong... Maybe a 69 Mach 1 Mustang, same deal, but a little heavier.

If you're not willing to consider classic cars, or you're one of those people who won't consider anything that's not Japanese :rolleyes: , go with a RX7 Turbo II, you can get about as much power as you can put down on street tires.

Something I've been looking at is the Thunderbird Super Coupe. Very heavy at 3900 lbs, but it comes stock with a forged crank, and rods. The 94/95 models made 230hp, and 330ftlbs. On the stock crank, these things can make 400hp, 500ftlbs, and push a T-bird into the 12s. They get good gas mileage on the highway, and are comfy as hell. They also have a good independent rear suspension, so they are quite capable of good handling as well, despite their heavy curb weight.

http://members.tccoa.com/superboom/AJs_Car.jpg

DemonZX
12-16-2002, 09:49 AM
300ZX!!! j/k!

hybridsol
12-16-2002, 09:54 AM
this thread is an argument waiting to happen. :rolleyes:
anyway welcome to AF SeanSays2U. :wave:

Cbass
12-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Welcome indeed, and I hope you are willing to love a car based on it's merits, not who makes it :)

Don't be one of these chumps who just falls into a brand/country loyalty camp, because you'll be missing out on 95% of the good cars out there ;)

DemonZX
12-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Don't get me wrong I love my Nissan, but the people you speakof are like Nazi's!....We will call them "Car Nazi's"!

r1dg3_rAc3r
12-16-2002, 10:20 AM
Hmm If american i agree with redneck on the Ls1/Lt1. If japanese I'd say go for an older Supra (MKIII) turbo.

Ok now to the alterior motive of this post. CBass how different is the previous generation of supercoupe (the ? to 93's) from the 94/95s? I'm considering that generation and ditching my 3.8 because I think the 94 and up supercoupes would be too expensive.

Cbass
12-16-2002, 10:22 AM
Exactly! I hate people like that... I love all cars, even cars like the Aztek, and the Yugo.

But I hate the Trabant! HATE HATE HATE :mad:

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~esakokki/trabant.jpg
http://www.c3.hu/~fotomuz/arch/trabant.jpg

hybridsol
12-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Cbass
Welcome indeed, and I hope you are willing to love a car based on it's merits, not who makes it :)

Don't be one of these chumps who just falls into a brand/country loyalty camp, because you'll be missing out on 95% of the good cars out there ;)
I agree many promising cars out there. But there's nothing wrong with honda's cbass. D-series civic motors can be worked with just as well as a B-series or H-series as shown by kris in the past. (rx7/porshe nazi!) j/p buddy. :D

hybridsol
12-16-2002, 10:35 AM

OK, to the point, what is the best street racing car to buy, and that doesn't require to buy a new engine and so on?
does "and so on" mean, fast completely stock? What kind of budget are you working with?

Cbass
12-16-2002, 10:39 AM
I suppose, but everyone and their dog has a Civic... do something different! You did a del Sol for instance, and while it's still technically a Civic, you don't see that many!

You really can't go wrong with a V8 though, reliable, parts are cheap, and they run on pump gas. What's the point of getting 30mpg if it's on gas that costs nearly twice as much?

That's my one complaint about turbocharged engines :(

DemonZX
12-16-2002, 11:00 AM
Porsche 914 with worked 350!...CLICK!

RazorGTR
12-16-2002, 12:16 PM
Honda I hope you mean NSX cuz the rest are shopping trolly's that nanna drives right :D :p

Street cars well do you mean production, limited production, stock standard, modified or race specc'ed, or what?

My opinion on base models with only ecu, filter(s) and exhaust done.

Production

Amercian
Viper or one of the various Corvettes

Japanese
Skyline GTR, NSX

Euro
TVR, Porsche, Farreri you choose

Cbass
12-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by DemonZX
Porsche 914 with worked 350!...CLICK!

Now that's what I'm talkin bout!

DemonZX
12-16-2002, 01:16 PM
How about the 67' Shelby 427! Now that is a true street car!

Cbass
12-16-2002, 01:19 PM
You mean the 427 Cobra SC, or the GT500 Mustang? The Mustang used the 428, but that's because the insurance companies didn't want to insure a car with the FE Nascar engine... :(

DemonZX
12-16-2002, 01:28 PM
SC! But of course! Even though the GT500 is one of my dream cars!

Cbass
12-16-2002, 01:55 PM
I've been thinking of building a Cobra replica with a 6.8 Triton V10... They only make 310hp stock, but with good exhaust, 10:1 compression, and lot's of cam duration, I think they could do 400-500hp.

DemonZX
12-16-2002, 02:20 PM
That would be pretty damn nice!

DMC12
12-16-2002, 09:25 PM
what is the best street racing car to buy, and that doesn't require to buy a new engine and so on?
McLaren F1 (if you have the budget to work with) ;)

Layla's Keeper
12-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Since most street racers are working on limited funds, I'll advise you to do one of three things.

1: Find a 1979-1993 5.0L Mustang. Cheap, light, easy to drive power, and they sort of handle. I prefer the 2.3L Turbo 'Stangs of that generation, but I'm a tech nut who'd also try to figure out how to fabricate mounts for attaching the '03 SVT Cobra IRS. The aftermarket is swamped with 5.0L V-8 Parts, and the cars actually are fairly efficient. Just be careful. Cops tail Mustangs like nobodies business. Camaro drivers have it worse, though.

2: Buy a 1989-1993 Nissan 240SX, then shop for an SR20DET. This is a hot import setup that actually makes sense. It's fast, relatively cheap, figure $1500 for the car and then $1500 for the DET, then another $500 in parts to install it (stronger clutch, rewired harness, new powersteering lines). These cars will hold their own against 70% of what's out there, and are very versatile (carve corners, drift, drag, and still operate economically). Plus the hatches have great cargo area. ^_^

3: (personal opinion) Classic small British sports cars! ^____^ The little ones (under 1600cc) aren't very fast, but corner like mad! The big cars (between 1600cc and 3000cc) have grunt, and still corner like mad. Good examples that can be found for inexpensive prices are-

Triumph Spitfire (little)
MG Midget (little)
Austin-Healey Sprite (little)
MGB (big car- 1.8L four)
Triumph TR4 through TR6 (BIG car- 3.0L six)
Triumph Spitfire GT-6 (big car- 3.0L six)
Sunbeam Tiger (BIG car, 260ci V-8, later 289ci)

If any of these engines sound small to you. Remember two things; the heaviest car in this group is the Triumph TR4 at around a tankish 2100lbs(?!) and there are kits out there (many factory based) to put the Rover 3.5L aluminum V-8 into these cars. You'll be distinctive, you'll be fast, and there is no sensation that can match that of classic British motoring. :angel:

KrNxRaCer00
12-17-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Cyprus106
If you don't mean typical, but still street racers, I'm going to say Skyline (GTR). Cuz those are insane and they're like the street machine all the civics, maximas and 'tegs want to be when they grow up.

i want my integra to grow up into a skyline...if i give it good gas and lots an lots of cool clean air, then it'll grow up to be a twin turbo beast rite? j/k...:p i like that quote tho...its pretty much the truth...most import drivers wish they could roll in a skyline.

Polygon
12-17-2002, 01:24 AM
That is just to broad, and you can't name any one car as being the ultimate street racing car. That is just not possible. Also are talking about stock, or can be modified to do so? I can make a Geo Metro kick a Skyline's ass in every way. It is all a matter of time and money. There is always someone with a car and skills better than yours.

KrNxRaCer00
12-17-2002, 01:56 AM
:( bursting our bubble...j/k it is pretty broad, but stock, thats the car i'd take.

supra-rx7
12-17-2002, 02:09 AM
street machine all the civics, maximas and 'tegs want to be when they grow up.

he said race cars, not econo boxes :p

i'd say mk3 supra. intake, exhaust, boost controller = instant 300 to the wheels.
cant beat that for under $5k. or in my case, under $2k including price of car.:finger:

:confused: skyline?? :confused:
in japan, they call those things taxi cabs. i'd take an mk4 supra, an FD, 3kgt vr-4, or TT 300zx over one of those things anyday. and with the money left over, mod the thing to hell and back

-j

hybridsol
12-17-2002, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by supra-rx7

in japan, they call those things taxi cabs.
-j
you think a R34 Skyline GT-R is a taxi cab? Your joking right?:confused:

Neutrino
12-17-2002, 07:00 AM
I think i would laugh my ass off if i would go in japan and take a skyline cab v-specII nontheless. It would be the biggest bubble burst in history.:D

DemonZX
12-17-2002, 07:59 AM
:uhoh: Uh, this guy's not serious right?

Neutrino
12-17-2002, 08:06 AM

in japan, they call those things taxi cabs. i'd take an mk4 supra, an FD, 3kgt vr-4, or TT 300zx over one of those things anyday. and with the money left over, mod the thing to hell and back

-j

I was just making a comment to the above post.

DemonZX
12-17-2002, 08:25 AM
We know, We know! That guy----->:bloated:

hybridsol
12-17-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Razorgtst
Honda I hope you mean NSX cuz the rest are shopping trolly's that nanna drives right :D :p

honda makes sports models and econo. models just like everyone else.
example- civic si
-type R integra
-type S prelude
but yes the NSX ownz.

hybridsol
12-17-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Neutrino
I think i would laugh my ass off if i would go in japan and take a skyline cab v-specII nontheless. It would be the biggest bubble burst in history.:D
I think I'd have to take a job there as a cab driver.......:D

KrNxRaCer00
12-17-2002, 12:54 PM
:confused: what are you talking about j? i don't kno if ur joking or not, but they use the skylines for their law enforcement and also people just buy them as daily drivers, not as taxis. there was no price limit on this, so the skyline is an obvious choice. if u want to see real power for under 2k, then buy american. im sure you could push more than 300hp under 2k. and u wanna talk about econo boxes? who makes supras? toyota. who also makes just as many econoboxes as honda. every car company has a bunch of family cars for the general public, then their "super-cars" such as the Skyline, or the Rx-7, or the NSX, the Viper, etc...so before you start completely bringin down a car to bein a taxi, atleast know what ur talking about. :silly2:

Cbass
12-17-2002, 03:44 PM
Series 2 RX7 with a built 347 stroker Ford. 450hp on pump gas, 50/50 weight balance, 2300lbs. Mariah widebody kit and Turbo II brakes and suspension.

http://www.atlantarx7.com/images/mariah%20body%20Kit.jpg

This is what mine will look like, although it will be very different mechanically ;)

DemonZX
12-17-2002, 04:10 PM
:eek2: CLICK!

Cbass
12-17-2002, 04:35 PM
Yeah, it should do high 10s with an AutoX suspension setup. Not bad, eh?

Of course, it would take at least $3000 to build an engine like that... You could just build a 9.5:1 302, port the stock heads, add a Trick Flow intake, a cam and get an EEC tuner... Bam, 350hp.

moondog
12-18-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Cbass
That's my one complaint about turbocharged engines :(

That would be my complaint about crap pump gas :p Seriously, we get 98 octane - which is crap, but it's ok for turbocharged engines. And anyway, if you've got an n/a with any sort of decent compression ratio you're going to need decent petrol too.

moondog
12-18-2002, 02:49 AM

in japan, they call those things taxi cabs. -j

:huh: They actually call them God of Fighters, or Battle God (choose your translation :p). I'd like to see a taxi cab so fast it was instrumental in the demise of international Group A racing :finger:

RazorGTR
12-18-2002, 04:18 AM
OWNED

Cbass
12-18-2002, 08:51 AM
http://www.angelfire.com/mac/tru1/MISC.html

Ah the GTR, king of the BATTLE! The emblem on the rear is from the R of the unbeaten legend ;)

Layla's Keeper
12-18-2002, 09:20 AM
Speaking of which, did Takeshi ever win a race? I've only got volumes 1-3 of the translated manga and 1st stage Japanese fansubs.

I still say that you should look into an ex-Cosmos 3 row for your 1st gen RX-7 project. I will contend to that with my next to dying breath. My dying breath is reserved for (gets all starry eyed) Mihoshi. I will find a real version of her!

Polygon
12-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Pffft, they must suck, they got beat by a Toyota Trueno, otherwise known as the Corolla in the states. :p

j/k

Cbass
12-18-2002, 10:22 PM
Yeah, but that was Takumi driving... Besides, it was a Trueno GT-Apex.

RazorGTR
12-19-2002, 02:29 AM
pffff Tureno GT - Apex. Eat them for breaky and dont even have to shift out of third gear :p

supra-rx7
12-19-2002, 03:43 AM
oppps did i make fun of everyone's hero?
the r34 GTR?

i didnt say that a GTR model was a taxi...i said skyline....as in the old base slow ass FR no turbo models, everyone just assumed TT 4wd i6 vspec...blah blah

as for the R34....well it has so many damn electronic controls it doesnt even need a driver.....i bet my 14 year old sister could drive it without wrecking...what happened to the good ol' days before traction control and ABS...those things are for ppl who drive slow and cant handle booooooost
-j

Cbass
12-19-2002, 11:19 AM
I think I might take a vacation in NZ, and bring an engine with me... just so I can buy a Trueno, swap it out, and own that Skyline! :p

Come on, it would be funny :hehehe:

GTi-VR6_A3
12-19-2002, 07:03 PM
oppps did i make fun of everyone's hero?
the r34 GTR?

i didnt say that a GTR model was a taxi...i said skyline....as in the old base slow ass FR no turbo models, everyone just assumed TT 4wd i6 vspec...blah blah

as for the R34....well it has so many damn electronic controls it doesnt even need a driver.....i bet my 14 year old sister could drive it without wrecking...what happened to the good ol' days before traction control and ABS...those things are for ppl who drive slow and cant handle booooooost
-j

you know everyone does assume that when you say skyline ppl think gtr but the base model does suck just as much as a civic as a sports car. why do you think they call it a civic it refers to people. kinda like the idea of the original VW. sure both companies make better cars but the civic and the beetle arent exactly performance. but anyway hes got a point and i have seen a skyline taxi. as for the skyline looks id have to say i find them a bit overrated.

-GTi-VR6_A3

hybridsol
12-19-2002, 07:46 PM
The Skyline GT-R is the RB26DETT engine relay's outstanding power levels along with the most tunable engine in the world. the GTR is equipped with a DOHC 24-valve in-line 6-cylinder engine with twin ceramic turbochargers and an intercooler. The engine's maximum torque output has been increased by 1.5 kg-m to 37.5 kg-m at 4400 rpm as a result old various improving, including raising the peak boost pressure of the turbochargers, revising the computer control limits/ parameters and improving the intercooler. Pick-up performance in the intermediate speed range has been enhanced through more accurate computer control over the operation of the engine. How could anyone speak of this engine as overrated? Performance wise even the lower model skyline's show a great amount of room for impovement/tunability.
-j
(on the contrary you have to have balls to drive this car)
Welcome to the future......... get with the times grampa..........

RazorGTR
12-19-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by GTi-VR6_A3

you know everyone does assume that when you say skyline ppl think gtr but the base model does suck just as much as a civic as a sports car. why do you think they call it a civic it refers to people. kinda like the idea of the original VW. sure both companies make better cars but the civic and the beetle arent exactly performance. but anyway hes got a point and i have seen a skyline taxi. as for the skyline looks id have to say i find them a bit overrated.

-GTi-VR6_A3

I wouldn't underestimate the GTS4 R32. It is basiclly a 2 litre version of the GTR but only a single turbo. there are quite a number of them here in NZ which would shat all over even a moderately tuned 2jz Supra, Series 7 RX and GTR!. In Japan there is a group that run 10's consistantly and these are reg'ed road cars still with the 2 litre engine. All the running gear is nearly identical to the GTR is is maginably smaller but none the less just as effective and also is about 100KG's lighter.

I find it ironic that most people who make statements such as yourself also live in the States where you are unlikely to ever see a Skyline GTR let alone own or ride in one.

GTi-VR6_A3
12-20-2002, 12:37 AM
thats why skylines dont even really matter hehe no offense to the owners out there. maybe if i sat in one or drove it id fell the same as all of you but for now im not too impressed. i am a tad but it could improve on looks imho

-GTi-VR6_A3

supra-rx7
12-20-2002, 01:21 AM
grandpa? im 18.
im not talking about the engine...sure the rb series are great motors, and i wouldnt mine one...but i'd take a 2j over it anyday..as for skylines ...they're just too over-rated here in america...all these little ricers see one and they faint. all that money just for an 4WD boxey supra with a whole bunch of electronics.

The Skyline GT-R is the RB26DETT engine relay's outstanding power levels along with the most tunable engine in the world. the GTR is equipped with a DOHC 24-valve in-line 6-cylinder engine with twin ceramic turbochargers and an intercooler. The engine's maximum torque output has been increased by 1.5 kg-m to 37.5 kg-m at 4400 rpm as a result old various improving, including raising the peak boost pressure of the turbochargers, revising the computer control limits/ parameters and improving the intercooler. Pick-up performance in the intermediate speed range has been enhanced through more accurate computer control over the operation of the engine. How could anyone speak of this engine as overrated? Performance wise even the lower model skyline's show a great amount of room for impovement/tunability.

wow, copy and paste huh? i dont really see a point to this post....if u want i could go blab for hours about the 2j, 1j,7m, or the 13b even.

for the price...the skyline is not worth it, and as its car type....it is more towards a luxuary-sport car than a true sports car. i mean look at it....its a box...and this ATTESA 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel drive traction control ABS stuff.....they make those for old ppl in luxuary cars who cant drive for crap....sports car are supposed to have good drivers....if u race 2 similar cars...one with abs and traction control, the other with no forms of these, and both cars have good drivers, the one without the electronics will win.

believe it or not kiddies, u launch faster with out traction control, and u can stop faster with out ABS than with it, it just takes practice...and that is what makes a racer good. u have to be one with your car....bond with it, love it! it will become part of u, and then u will appriciate all that it can do for you
:D

-The Stig-
12-20-2002, 01:25 AM
Hybrid buddy ol pal remember that talk we had on AIM? hehehe... he's only about 8 hours up the coast from me...

Want me to take a trip? :D

supra-rx7
12-20-2002, 02:00 AM
heh, u gonna drive all the way from la to see me? am i gonna get beat up for making fun of your god? :confused:

i'm scared:)

oh....and have u guys even seen a skyline in real life? i have, in fact i saw it in action... a silver R33 from san fran...slightly modded with exhaust, fmic, ebc....it lost to a bpu TT supra....but, it took out another less modded supra the same night....so i know it has power like u guys say....but the driver...well lets just say cant tell a torque wrench from a c-clamp...he is all talk
i never cared for skylines....but after meeting this guy, i now dont like them...sure he's just one person....but how many skyline owners do u know?

when he modded his skyline, he talked all this shit to my friend who has a stock tt supra....then my friend got a few mods, and the skyline owner refuses to even look at him, much less line up against him...
:confused:

but he has an almighty skyline, they can never lose

-j

-The Stig-
12-20-2002, 02:25 AM
Beat you up? Hell no... I've got cars that do the work for me.:sun:

Hybridsol is probably the smartest person on AF when it comes to cars in general. His specialty is Japanese, specificly Hondas. Now I know you like the flame people, and argue for no reason... So whatever. Hybridsol knows his shit, and doesnt talk shit either. He states facts... Like me.

And No the Skyline is not my God... pfff. Sure its nice, but I've seen better.

What's this I hear about you driving your Supra into a parked Cop Car?;)

hybridsol
12-20-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by RedNeck383
Hybrid buddy ol pal remember that talk we had on AIM? hehehe... he's only about 8 hours up the coast from me...

Want me to take a trip? :D
yes I do remember, and by all means redneck....by all means..... go get TV and make a road trip out of it. :D

where did I copy and paste that from? Its common knowledge........ I'm a mechanical engineer in specialized ECU design......every car operates under advanced computer modification (older model's not as advanced, yet present) don't even get me started on your beloved supra, its a 7M-GTE right? The newer TT supra's are computerized right down to CRL sensors. Power meter's, turbo timer's, boost controllers. (Incase you haven't noticed I'm a honda fan) I just think degrading a car of that caliper is blasphemous. Shure there's cars I dislike, but do you see me making taxi cab jokes about them? You said you knew of one person that owned a skyline....thats a pretty big stereotype, to think all skyline drivers are like the one you know, don't you think?

-The Stig-
12-20-2002, 02:35 AM
*jumps up and down*

OWNZ JOO!!!

Hahahah... I had to say it.

*shrugs* Ok, back to my reading...

Add your comment to this topic!