Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My Next Car--Viper, Callaway, Ferrari?

hakka
12-13-2002, 03:37 PM
Okay guys, I'm looking for my next car. What do you think it should be? I'm looking for a sports car in the sub-$45,000 category in the bottom of its depreciation curve. Right now, I'm considering a few:

1971 DeTomaso Pantera (mid-engine Italtian bodied Ford powered 'vette)
1992 Viper (only 200 made)
1991 Callway Aerobody Vette (twin turbos w/ 450hp and 600+lbs-ft from the factory, capable of 190mph+ and only 50 or so made)
early 90's Ferrari 348TB or TS (its a Ferrari :) )
early NSX....

Any other suggestions? What are your opinions on these?

YogsVR4
12-13-2002, 03:52 PM
For that budget - I'd go with a stock vehicle which is newer of the group. The Viper would be my choice followed closely by the NSX.

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Jimster
12-13-2002, 05:29 PM
NSX definitley- the best to own by miles:D

Moppie
12-13-2002, 07:51 PM
Deffinitly agree with Yogs here.
Unless you have a large budget for repiars and a 2nd car to use 6-9mnths of the year then take one of the newer more factory stock cars.
Either the NSX or the Viper.

The Ferrari and Pantera will be fast and exotic, but painfull and expensive if driven daily.
And the Callowway could be unpredictable in terms of reliablity.
It might go really well for 6mnths and then with no warning start braking expesive things.

The NSX and Viper being factory standard and more or less designed to be mass produced will be much easier to live with, and if serviced regularly much more reliable.

But if you can afford any of these cars then dont post here asking about what to get, get out there and take some test drives and talk to people who actualy own these wondeful cars!

Stefanel1
12-14-2002, 02:37 PM
Choose the 348 TB !!!! Do not hesitate ! if you can afford it, it's the best, you'll take a lot of pleasure. exceptional car... but expensive !

hakka
12-14-2002, 04:02 PM
thanks for your input...

I'm not really worried about the money, all are in my price range. The car won't be my daily driver...it will probably only be driven once a month. I already have a 92 Chevy Cavalier for the daily driving, along with a Land Rover Discovery, a BMW 850i, and a couple of vettes. I'm not really worried about breakdowns either-I've pulled quite a few engines (at the moment I'm replacing the cams on the 850i...the M70 V12 is not what most would consider simple to work on). I am fairly confident that I could do almost all of the work myself on all of the cars save for the 348. Also, I live in Louisiana, so I can enjoy the car year round, now worrries about winter! Would this effect your decisions?

btw Moppie, the reason I asked is because I like all of these cars so much. I have been thinking about this for the past month or so, as well as researching the cars. I was actually thinking about eliminating the NSX...too quiet, too reliable, too underpowered;)

Moppie
12-14-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by hakka
I was actually thinking about eliminating the NSX...too quiet, too reliable, too underpowered;)

LOL! In your circumstances I would have to agree!

In that case I would take the Pantera. Simple because its differnt, and if you know a good automotive enginer it will be fun to fix when it breaks.
And of course being ford powered there is plenty of opertunity to make it faster if you feel like it. :)

Add your comment to this topic!