Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cracked Tranny Case

xplisit maxima
12-21-2007, 04:34 PM
So i somehow cracked my tranny case one evening (happend because while i was drivn my exhaust pipe somehow came loose from watever it was connected to and hit the ground and popped up and hit something that cracked my case) so tranny fluid came spilln out and i had to get it towed..not knowing what happend yet i attempted to get it towed to the muffler place to get that exhaust fixed but soon as AAA started my car tranny fluid came spilln out...so the guy was nice enuff look underneath (since it has abt a 4inch body lift) and was able to see exactly wat the problem was... my question is... is it possible to get the crack fixed? if not is it possible to just get a new tranny case witout having to get a new tranny?? if so is it an expensive fix??

sorry for dumb sounding questions guys...im a girl that formerly owned a maxima who now owns a 96 2dr 4x4 tahoe...any help would be appreciated...

(look below for pic of my truck...gorgeous!)

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/lildimples16/tahoe1.jpg

j cAT
12-21-2007, 05:33 PM
call transmission repair shops in your area and explain exactly size of crack and location. also if they can seal transmission case . this can be repaired if not in critical area....this if not repairable will be expensive.............

2000CAYukon
12-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Is it the transfer case or transmission that has the crack? Is it just a whole in the transmission pan?

//2000CAYukon

xplisit maxima
12-21-2007, 07:02 PM
just the transmission case abt 6 inches up/on the tailshaft....at least thats wat he told me

maxwedge
12-21-2007, 07:34 PM
If it is not subjected to direct pump/line pressure there are several 2 part epoxies that can repair that area. The isssue is is whether the strength of the tailshaft housing has be compromised.

xplisit maxima
12-21-2007, 08:09 PM
If it is not subjected to direct pump/line pressure there are several 2 part epoxies that can repair that area. The isssue is is whether the strength of the tailshaft housing has be compromised.

are those repairs expensive??

maxwedge
12-22-2007, 10:14 AM
What repairs? BTW a picture of the damage would have served our purposes much better than the truck pic.

J-Ri
12-22-2007, 02:47 PM
If it's 4x4, does it have a tailshaft housing? Seems to me the tailshaft housing is only for a 2wd for the slipyoke to go into. On a 4x4 isn't the transfercase bolted directly to the transmission case?

I sure hope so... if not I'll never live this down :)

I have a friend with an F-150, he cracked the transmission housing on his and used Permatex Ultrablack to patch it. Many years now and no leak.

wafrederick
12-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Or take it to some that welds aluminum very good.Do it all the time everytime I see this,my father takes it to a friend of his that welds aluminum with a tig welder very good and holds up with no comebacks.Clean the area very good or the welds will not hold.

maxwedge
12-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Guys, at this point no one is really sure what is cracked here, lets wait and get some pertinent info.

xplisit maxima
12-22-2007, 05:46 PM
i dont have a picture of the crack itself...i only have a pic of the pipe thing that came down initially and CAUSED the crack....sorry.....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/lildimples16/DSC03255.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/lildimples16/DSC03254.jpg
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/lildimples16/DSC03256.jpg

troy1
12-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I've seen tons of cracked 4L60E's Its cracked where the cast iron extention housing meets the trans on the drivers side? If so get all your U-joints checked.

j cAT
12-23-2007, 09:55 AM
The picture of the cracks in the driveway will not help .

2000CAYukon
12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
If it's 4x4, does it have a tailshaft housing? Seems to me the tailshaft housing is only for a 2wd for the slipyoke to go into. On a 4x4 isn't the transfercase bolted directly to the transmission case?

Yes the Tranny is bolted to the Transfer Case and there is a small tailshaft housing bolted to the Transfer Case for the slipyoke to go into.

I suspect the Transfer Case is what is cracked.

//2000CAYukon

J-Ri
12-23-2007, 02:17 PM
oh, yeah... I was thinking transmission tailshaft housing...

But if it was the transfercase, why would fluid have started pouring out when the tow guy tried to move it? Seems like everything that could drain out would have when it was first cracked.

At any rate, we need a picture of the actual crack.

xplisit maxima
12-23-2007, 02:23 PM
ok gimme couple hrs and ill try to get someone underneath there and take a pic

xplisit maxima
12-27-2007, 04:23 PM
welp the crack was positioned in an un-weldable area therefore i have to get the whole thing rebuilt...bummer

j cAT
12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
welp the crack was positioned in an un-weldable area therefore i have to get the whole thing rebuilt...bummer
before spending any money get second opinion and get picture to show crack location and size. welding is one method of repair not all......

xplisit maxima
01-01-2008, 06:38 PM
yea i took it to aamco first...their quote was WAY expensive...$2400....then i had it towed to a local tranny shop...quoted me $1500

oh and both places said the same abt the crack being un weldable and only thing left to do was rebuild the tranny and get a new case

J-Ri
01-02-2008, 04:56 PM
yea i took it to aamco first...their quote was WAY expensive...$2400....then i had it towed to a local tranny shop...quoted me $1500

oh and both places said the same abt the crack being un weldable and only thing left to do was rebuild the tranny and get a new case

There is a "professional" non-repairable, and a "laying in my driveway" non-repairable. There are things that may work 99.999999% of the time that I would NEVER do on a customers car (things that I have done on mine and my family/friends with no problems). The reason is liability.

I'd like to see a picture, but it is your money.

Add your comment to this topic!