Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2001 Kia Sportage starting problem.

DBMotorsports
12-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I have been having a really hard time with a Sportage I have been working on. It was brought to me because the head gasket was leaking, so I had the head checked and cleaned at a machine shop. I also replaced the timing belt and plugs while putting it back together. The car runs great, but takes a little while to start. You actually have to give it gas while cranking the starter to get it to start, but once it starts it has a rough idle but runs great. I have already changed the Throttle position sensor, and the mass air flow sensor with no luck. The engine light comes on when it idles, but goes away after driving it a little bit. When the light is on the computer is spitting out P1115 (Manufacturer Control Fuel Air metering). Can someone please help me before I end up in the nut house. And yes I did rip half of it back apart to double check the timing marks.:banghead:

kyle95g20
12-21-2007, 12:36 AM
there are 2 connectors on the intake manifold, they may be reversed.

you also just gave a perfect description of one tooth off on the timing belt and a possible vacuum leak.

LMP
12-21-2007, 06:36 AM
Since you said nothing about it, pay attention to cleaning the Idle Air COntrol valve, commonly reported as a source of starting and idle problems. Just remove 2 screws and clean with carb cleaner .
http://www.geocities.com/lmp4203/kiasport/IAC.jpg

kyle95g20
12-22-2007, 11:33 AM
i have never encountered a bad iac on any kia

D'Expert
01-21-2008, 05:34 PM
It sounds like a TPS that has not been set properly.

kyle95g20
01-23-2008, 06:03 PM
an improperly clocked tps will idle fine but on accel will feel as though the car hits a stopping point/brick wall.

tps is set at assembly and is non-adjustable.

D'Expert
01-27-2008, 05:10 AM
an improperly clocked tps will idle fine but on accel will feel as though the car hits a stopping point/brick wall.

tps is set at assembly and is non-adjustable.

I hope you have proof on your statement. My experience with tps does not seem to fit what you have posted. Dont messed with tps if you dont know how to set it in the throttle body. This device is not plug and play!!!.

kyle95g20
01-27-2008, 11:06 PM
i believe that my 7 years of kia and hyundai experience and my master certification in the brand may have something to do with my insight on the subject.

h/k tps are set at production and are never to be adjusted...same with teh idle screw on teh throttle body. if someone has ever altered idle screw you will get some severe driveability problems.

Add your comment to this topic!