Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Food dehydrator

TheSyndicate
12-08-2002, 06:19 PM
Can these be used to dry ANY paints? Even body painting? What temperatures should I use? and how long?

daggerlee
12-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Sure, paint is paint is paint.. :)

The temp should be around 115-120 degrees. Any higher, and the paint and/or styrene plastic may melt.

Jonno
12-08-2002, 06:37 PM
You might be able to find some more infomation on the topic if you do a search.

Is this is the FAQ? Because if it isn't, it should be.

freakray
12-08-2002, 08:16 PM
I asked this question before, and I got some really good and helpful answers from a lot of people on here.
Perhaps you could do a search of the modelling message board for 'food dehydrator' and you may be able to find that thread?
Good luck

Ray

ZoomZoomMX-5
12-08-2002, 08:34 PM
My dehydrator is plugged in 24-7. It's been used to dry all kinds of paint, help to cure putty and bodywork, warm up a can of paint before I spray a body, dry off a body/parts that I've washed or wet sanded. As long as the temperature stays about 110º or less you'll be fine. If the paint is dry enough, you can feel it, and you can smell if the paint is too fresh or needs more time. I get away w/a few hours for Tamiya sprays, overnight for acrylic gloss or enamels, several hours for flat acrylics that need to cure enough to mask/paint a second color. Sometimes just minutes for flat acrylics or lacquers that don't need secondary stuff done. If you want to play it safe, overnight should be fine. Mine was a cheap Big Lots version, no heat control except for sliding panels top and bottom for convective airflow. I cut out a couple of the tray floors, so that they are spacers for taller objects. Can't post pics now, will try soon.

Add your comment to this topic!