Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Steering noise when turning

Burgundy LS
12-19-2007, 10:27 PM
I have recently encountered another problem with my LS. It seems to be making squeaking noise when I turn the wheel when the car is on or off. It almost sounds like a bad spring or something right behind the tire. I can push down on the fender well right above the tire and hear the noise faintly as the suspension goes up and down. But while turning, the noise is an attention getter. My power steering was low and I added to it. The noise is still there and I can hear the pump, it sounds normal. It kinda sounds like something needs lubbed. Any ideas would be great. Thanks in advance.:wink:

shorod
12-20-2007, 12:20 PM
I haven't heard about it being an issue on the LS, but other Ford products commonly have ball joints and outer tie rod ends that get dry and squeak. I would describe the noise they make as similar to what you describe.

One way to diagnose would be to use a small pin pick to puncture a small hole in the dust boot of one joint (outer tie rod end, ball joint) and use an aerosol can of white lithium grease with a straw applicator to apply a squirt of grease through the hole. Operate the suspension or steering and see if the noise has changed or is completely gone. Repeat on other joints until you find all the culprits.

This application of grease is just a short term fix though, for the long term you'll want to replace the noisy part(s).

-Rod

twentysgirl
12-30-2007, 12:02 PM
My 2001 LS does this same thing. It comes and goes--I noticed it in fall last year and this year, and now its back--when my car runs that is. It is a horrible squealing/shrieking noise that is more obvious when turning at low speeds.

dngrfld
01-03-2008, 11:57 PM
I have a 2001 LS and am experiencing the same noise. I just took it in and was told I need to replace lower control arm/ball joints. The noise just started a week ago, and I knew it was more than a minor annoyance.......the noise was just too insideous to be something simple. The estimated cost to repair/replace with 4 wheel alighment is $563.56.

twentysgirl
01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
There was actually a recall on the front control arm, lower ball joints in Nov 2000 that affects the 2001 LS. You'd better look it up to make sure it's not covered before you pay. You can find it at nhtsa.gov. Mine was supposedly fixed, but I think I may have it checked again just to be sure.

Add your comment to this topic!