Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil leak

Bear
12-19-2007, 08:27 AM
I have a minor oil leak (maybe a thimble full in two weeks) on my 2007 Sonata V6. The oil is accumulating in the casting of the auto transmission (as you look into the engine compartment, over the grill, the oil is pooling on top of the transmission), it is engine oil and I thought the filter cannister "O" ring might be leaking but that is tight and no oil on the cannister body. There is one electrical sensor in the area and I guess that seal might be bad, just do not know. The car is under warranty so no issue there except taking it in. any thoughts?

melgregor
09-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Oil leak is probably coming from improperly sealed timing belt housing, as was mine.

buyadvice
09-25-2008, 10:28 PM
Stopping an oil leak can sometimes be frustrating if you don't find the correct source of the problem. First you need to determine what kind of leak your new car has. There are two types of oil leak, a seep and a leak. So the best is to consult a mechanic.

Bear
09-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Leak was from the "O" ring on the filter canister, the lid was not down tight enough, in fact I had to use a strap wrench to fully seat the lid.

goldeagle
12-14-2008, 12:18 PM
12/14/08

My 2006 has a very similar oil leak to what (Bear & Melgregor) have described accumulating small amount on AT top near sensor area. Eventually drains down to underside and drips on carport. Very little oil showing on filter canister area. Someone suggested the timing belt cover had a factory defect (loose).

No warranty so... I hope it is not the timing belt cover issue.

What was the final fix?

lowsonoma1999
12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
12/14/08

My 2006 has a very similar oil leak to what (Bear & Melgregor) have described accumulating small amount on AT top near sensor area. Eventually drains down to underside and drips on carport. Very little oil showing on filter canister area. Someone suggested the timing belt cover had a factory defect (loose).

No warranty so... I hope it is not the timing belt cover issue.

What was the final fix?
Final fix was the o-ring on the oil filter housing for Bear. I see it all the time in the shop from the oil change places not replacing the o-rings, or not sealing it properly. It would not be a timing cover issue as Melgregor said, since the timing cover is on the other side of the engine, nowhere near the transmission.

Add your comment to this topic!