Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Crown - runs rough until warmed up - HELP!!!

ojo7997
12-19-2007, 12:46 AM
I've got a 93 4.6L Crown that runs rough/sputters when first started in cold weather (45-50 degrees and colder). If driven without being warmed up, it doesn't accelrate well and is very sluggish until it is warm, and then it drives fine. Puts out a LOT of exhaust at first, then it tapers off to a normal level. I've already changed out the spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter. Now I'm looking at the EGR, o2 sensors, etc, but don't want to waste money on swapping out stuff that's not broken. BTW, the check engine light is on.

What could possibly be wrong with this vehicle? What should I be looking for?

TENGRAM
12-19-2007, 01:39 AM
I've got a 93 4.6L Crown that runs rough/sputters when first started in cold weather (45-50 degrees and colder). If driven without being warmed up, it doesn't accelrate well and is very sluggish until it is warm, and then it drives fine. Puts out a LOT of exhaust at first, then it tapers off to a normal level. I've already changed out the spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter. Now I'm looking at the EGR, o2 sensors, etc, but don't want to waste money on swapping out stuff that's not broken. BTW, the check engine light is on.

What could possibly be wrong with this vehicle? What should I be looking for?you need to pull the codes. its very simple. similar to THIS PROCEDURE (http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190) but of course it would be best to find the procedure specific to crown vics...maybe someone on here knows.

here is the self-test connector location:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/tengram/crownvicobd1selftestconnector.gif

once you get the codes post them up here and we can help you diagnose them.

sorry i couldn't be more help. i have much more experience with mustangs then with CVs:frown:

edit: here is the procedure i found posted on this site, it looks to be identical to the procedure i posted earlier (although not quite as easy to follow): http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

mike avery
12-19-2007, 07:40 PM
sounds like bad o2 sensor i had the same problem and thats what it ended up being. take the car to a auto store like advance auto or auto zone and get the code read for free. post your codes because they dont do a good job of determining the codes. good luck

reekor
12-20-2007, 10:06 PM
The PCM does not use o2 sensor readings until the engine is warmed up. The PCM runs off of preprogrammed values when the engine is cold, this is called a open loop.

OPEN LOOP

Definition: A mode of operation in a computerized engine management system that occurs after a cold start. During open loop, the computer provides a fixed air/fuel ratio that is richer than normal to improve cold derivability until the engine warms up.

CLOSED LOOP

Definition: The basic principle of electronic engine management in which input from an oxygen sensor allows the engine control computer to determine and maintain a nearly perfect air-fuel ratio. To enter closed loop operation, the oxygen sensor must be producing a voltage signal and the engine must have reached a certain operating temperature.

sounds like bad o2 sensor i had the same problem and thats what it ended up being. take the car to a auto store like advance auto or auto zone and get the code read for free. post your codes because they dont do a good job of determining the codes. good luck

My bet would be on the PCM temperature Sensor

TENGRAM
12-21-2007, 03:06 PM
this is exactly why you need to check for codes. guessing can get very expensive very quickly...even "educated guessing"

Add your comment to this topic!