Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Riviera, supercharge, start problem

songfromhaven
12-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Hi all,
I occur a problem on the start. since I let the interior light(the one above the control pedal) on for one or two days. I find I can not start the car anymore.

Then I thought I might have a low battery. But after I try to ask my friends use his nissan sentra to jump start my car. (I find the battery under the 2nd row seat, right?). It failed to start too.

So what I am going to do now? change a new battery or tow it to a mechanic shop and check it out?

I am a little bit concern about the engine. However I did not find any problem yet before this happened. Is the supercharge engine died?

Thank you for your help and thoughts.

songfromhaven
12-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Forget to mention.
I bought it in Mar and it has about 180k now.
As far as I drive it till now, she is fine.

Do not know what might cause this problem.

HotZ28
12-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Check voltage on the battery, if less than 12v, either charge it, or replace it.
BTW, you can not jump a dead battery with jumper cables, they will not carry the amps required!

songfromhaven
12-21-2007, 09:32 AM
HotZ28 (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=297374),
Thank you for your reply.

Can you tell me how to charge the battery? Or if I need replace the battery, what is the right one to pick?

HotZ28
12-23-2007, 10:56 AM
You will need a battery charger to charge the battery. They make several different types, some are manual and others are automatic. Some charge @ 10-20-50 amp while others may only charge @ 10 amps or less. When the battery reaches full charge, the automatic charger lowers the charge rate to a trickle. The manual charger does not have this feature and you must remember to turn the charger off once the battery is fully charged, otherwise you can damage the battery by overcharging. (Boiling the electrolyte solution). A fully charged battery will read 12.67v. If needed, you can get a new battery @ Advanced Auto Parts.

Add your comment to this topic!