Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wierd "ticking" noise

jeranamo
12-14-2007, 10:23 AM
I have an odd issue going on with my 2006 es. When it is first started and I put her into reverse and begin backing out, there is a very loud ticking noise. When I throw it into drive and it cycles through all the gears once, it seems to get quieter, however it's still occurring.

I popped the hood and it sounds like it's coming from the alternator or something else that the same belt is running. I've looked at some previous Mitsu cars in the past and noticed there is a slight ticking with many of the 4 cylinder vehicles, but this particular noise seems louder and more abnormal. I'm worried because I have installed an after market head unit and have ran amp power cable through the firewall. Last time I took my car into Mitsu for a completely unrelated issue they told me by doing that I "more than likely have voided the warranty" which is complete bull****.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be or has anyone had the same or similar problem?

Blackcrow64
12-14-2007, 01:18 PM
It sounds like you are describing lifter tick. It is very common with almost all Mitsubishi's. The oiling hole in the lifters isn't big enough and it just doesn't give it enough oil there. It's no big deal at all, it just makes them sound like crap in my opinion...

jeranamo
12-15-2007, 09:11 AM
As far as the initial ticking, I believe you are correct as another person told me the same thing. However, the other ticking is a separate issue I think because I could definitely hear noises coming from somewhere along the belt, most likely the alternator. It doesn't do it all of the time, so it's going to be hard for me to take the car into the dealer and have the idiots pinpoint the problem, so I just wanted to get some insight before I took it in.

Blackcrow64
12-15-2007, 04:33 PM
I donno what else could be ticking... Perhaps a bad bearing in one of the pulley accessories? Or is it more of a "something is hitting it" ticking?

Add your comment to this topic!