Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

add cruise to zx=

jamesmetairie
12-13-2007, 01:29 AM
anyone have luck adding cruise control to a zx? if so, what brand ?

ZX2Tweeker
12-13-2007, 12:20 PM
My 98 Model came with cruise

techno_dude
12-20-2007, 01:52 AM
anyone have luck adding cruise control to a zx? if so, what brand ?

I have a 98 ZX2 and I successfuly installed an Audiovox cruise control. The unit cost me about $100 and took me a couple of hours or so to put in. There were about 3 different trouble spots in the installation I had. First was figuring out the wiring for the speed control input. The Ford dealer was not co-operative at all in divulging any information. (stinkin' jerks) Lucky for me, I had a local shop that I always go to print me out a detailed schematic.

Turns out that there is a wire you will need to tap into (off of or whatever) on the computer box under the dash so you can feed the cruise control what it needs for a speed sensor.

The next problem was just how to route the cable from the outside to the inside through the firewall. What I wound up doing was to find a huge cable that already exists that routes through a rubber seal. I slit the seal and routed my cable right alongside the already existing one so I avoided drilling extra holes.

The final problem was hooking up to the acceleration linkage. The unit came with all kinds of different hooks and whatnot for hardware, but nothing that came close to what is needed to link up to what Ford uses here. So what I did was to take a paper clip, wrap it around the second linkage peg that is there and super-glue the paper clip to another fastener that connects to the cruise control accelerator cable.

The switch for the unit was fastened onto the dash just beyond the steering wheel, right beneath the instument cluster.

Hope this helps

jamesmetairie
12-23-2007, 01:45 AM
I have a 98 ZX2 and I successfuly installed an Audiovox cruise control. The unit cost me about $100 and took me a couple of hours or so to put in. There were about 3 different trouble spots in the installation I had. First was figuring out the wiring for the speed control input. The Ford dealer was not co-operative at all in divulging any information. (stinkin' jerks) Lucky for me, I had a local shop that I always go to print me out a detailed schematic.

Turns out that there is a wire you will need to tap into (off of or whatever) on the computer box under the dash so you can feed the cruise control what it needs for a speed sensor.

The next problem was just how to route the cable from the outside to the inside through the firewall. What I wound up doing was to find a huge cable that already exists that routes through a rubber seal. I slit the seal and routed my cable right alongside the already existing one so I avoided drilling extra holes.

The final problem was hooking up to the acceleration linkage. The unit came with all kinds of different hooks and whatnot for hardware, but nothing that came close to what is needed to link up to what Ford uses here. So what I did was to take a paper clip, wrap it around the second linkage peg that is there and super-glue the paper clip to another fastener that connects to the cruise control accelerator cable.

The switch for the unit was fastened onto the dash just beyond the steering wheel, right beneath the instument cluster.

Hope this helps thanks dude .

Add your comment to this topic!