1996 Isuzu Trooper Hesitates & Stumbles

edweaver2002
12-11-2007, 09:05 PM
I have a 96 Trooper 3.2 Automatic with 152K miles.

After about an hour of driving the vehicle will hestitate and stumble upon acceleration. After about 2 hours of driving I will almost loose power completely. At 1st I thought it was when I was less than 1/2 tank of gas, so I had the fuel pressure switch changed out - no change. Then I had the in tank pump and sock changed.

I have had my tech check the output on the alternator, check all of the voltages on the sensors. He says everything checks out. He felt like it was maybe in the trans with a valve sticking, so he changed filters and serviced the trans with new fluid and BG treatment. Trans shifts out good, but this made no difference.

I am getting no CEL or codes ever.

Today, I tried something different. When this happened, I pulled over and just turned the vehicle off to reset the computer. Ran great for a maybe 30 miles until it did it again. Pulled off and turned the vehicle off, ran great for another 20 miles or so. I was on the interstate the next time that it did it, so I shifted into nuetral and turned the engine off and then cranked it back up and shifted back into gear. Cleared it up again.

I'm leaning towards this being a defective ECM that is intermittent only when it gets hot. The vehicle never has issues until its been running for an hour or so.

Thanks for any input.

edweaver2002
12-13-2007, 08:31 PM
Thanks for all of the input folks.

I think I'll stay over at PlanetIsuzu where you actually get a few ideas.

trooperbc
12-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Thanks for all of the input folks.

I think I'll stay over at PlanetIsuzu where you actually get a few ideas. yeah, but you didn't get much good answers there, either :runaround:

look most people here are members over there too. so no need to duplicate. and no need for you to get uppity, either. besides, you must have noticed that most of the action here is with the Rodeo's, although the engines are mostly the same.

ontheotherhand....i'm surprised moderator Amigo-2k hasn't weighed in with his IMG diagnosis. it actually fits here. do a search here, and at planetisuzoo, and check the FAQ see sticky.

//bc

amigo-2k
12-16-2007, 09:15 PM
Bad intake manifold gaskets is not a common issue in the 92-97 3.2L engine.

Maybe it is a ground issue with the tranny.

Here is a recent quote from an email I received:

"Thanks Ryan but the problem (after replacing the mode sensor and the controller box under the steering wheel) turned out to be a faulty (loose) transmission ground. The computer cable plug was resolving the problem because there are two separate pins for grounds on the car's computer plug-in which the computer plug repaired by connecting the faulty ground to a good one.
If other Isuzu owners are getting a light show on the gear lights they should consider that it might be a loose ground. Why this problem was worse on the first start in the morning, I'm not sure, but if plugging in a computer cable solves the problem, then check the ground wires."

trooperbc
12-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Bad intake manifold gaskets is not a common issue in the 92-97 3.2L engine.

....well, not common, but certainly the symptoms indicate this would be one more thing to check out, i think.

//bc

Add your comment to this topic!