Any advice?

jwolff
12-07-2002, 01:45 PM
I'm an owner of a Kia Rio 2002. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem that I do. My problem is that my Kia makes this annoying whistling sound when I'm driving on the highway (about 70 mph). I've taken it in for repairs two times for this problem and they still haven't fixed it. They're all incompetant a$$holes in the service dept. if you ask me! Anyways, anyone have any advice on how you solved this problem? Any advice would be great! Thanx!

Jamie

Scott 02
02-09-2003, 09:02 AM
Does the whistling sound like its comming from the engine area?

RONMAHA
03-02-2003, 03:53 PM
I'M NOT SURE YOU GOT MY MESSAGE. THE NOISE IS MOST LIKELY A HOLE IN YOUR WHEEL WELL COVER AROUND YOUR FRONT TIRES. THE COVER IS ABOVE YOUR TIRE AND GOES AROUND THE WELL.
FROM THE GROUND IT SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME DISTANCE UP TO ABOUT THE DISTANCE OF YOU SPEAKER IN YOUR CAR DOOR. THE AIR WHISTLES THREW IT WHEN YOU GET UP TO AROUND 70MPH. PUT SOME DUCT TAPE OVER IT. YOU PROBABLY HAVE A HOLE ON BOTH SIDES OF YOUR CAR.
RON

jsedlezky
04-01-2003, 09:13 PM
My 2002 Rio RXV makes that sound, too. But I have successfully ignored it because I am too angry about the rusting hood that Kia will not lay claim to.

kept1979
07-25-2003, 02:59 PM
I have the same problem. My Rio is in the shop right now having a new oxygen sensor and master air intake modulator replaced. I mentioned about the whistling. The dealer indicated that they have had occassion where the noise is actually being caused by the driver and passanger side mirror. They will be test driving my car on Monday or Tuesday and make recommendations. Again, I also notice the sound around 70 miles per hour AND when there is a head wind or side wind hitting the car.:rolleyes:

phatcat42141
12-17-2003, 12:27 AM
My 2001 Rio had that "annoying whistling sound " also. When I gripped loud enough to the dealership they found the problem was that the doors were off centered just enough to whistle at higher ranges of speed. After they rehung the doors (I stood and watched this) I never had any trouble with the whistle.

Ironic
11-08-2004, 10:07 PM
dam- and all I've been doing is cranking up the stereo to drown the noise out

ad4c
01-13-2005, 08:34 AM
I guess I am a lucky owner of a Rio 2004 that makes no noise at all at any speed,I have run mine up to 100 mph so far and I can't hear any high pitch noise,only the wind going backward when I put the windows down,are you sure you don't have a ghost travelling with you? in that case go to Disney world and ask the ghost busters crew to help you out. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Tambrai
03-02-2005, 11:19 PM
I bought a 2004 Kia Rio in August and really love it, except for this weird whistling sound. It only happens when I'm driving over 100km/hr and it's a windy day! If it's not windy out, it doesn't seem to do it. The first time I heard it, it freaked me right out, as it is quite loud. I was actually scared to take it to the dealership, cause I thought they'd think I was nuts. Especially, cause how are they gonna figure it out if it's not a windy day when I take it in? I can't believe I found this website. I just typed in "Kia Rio whistling sound" and it brought me here! LOL I'm gonna print out all the comments about this whistling sound and take it to the dealership, so when he thinks I'm nuts, I can show it to him! I figure it's nothing really serious as it's only when it's windy out and going at a high speed, but it's so loud even the radio won't drown it out!

roadtripper
03-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Mine 2001 Kia Rio used to whistle, too, espcially when it was windy. Now the engine is dead, so it doesn't whistle any more. But they never fixed the whistle despite repeated requests.

fastkia
04-29-2005, 11:00 PM
hello peoples there is a new bulletin on how to fix your rio's whistles go to your dealer and tell them about it if they never heard of it it is coming from your door weather strip seals not sealing properly. Have them chage all four door weather strips and make sure they use 3m glue over by the front of the mirrors. If problem continues bring it to my dealer since I can't post the other (kool) way to reapair this since it's not ok by KMA. or simply pm me or e-mail me and I'll tell you how to do it. We have fixed everyone that has come to the kia dealer I work at some by doing this not ok thing

tthornhill
01-21-2006, 08:31 AM
Hi

I have a 2002 Kia Rio. Recently I have noticed that when I have my heater on the car will sometimes make a funny sound (wooop), then when I turn off the heater the sound goes away. Any advice as too what maybe causing it ??

TT

MeettheCreeper
01-21-2006, 09:28 AM
Hi

I have a 2002 Kia Rio. Recently I have noticed that when I have my heater on the car will sometimes make a funny sound (wooop), then when I turn off the heater the sound goes away. Any advice as too what maybe causing it ??

TT

You probalby have leaves or other debris in the blower motor fan cage. Remove the blower and check to see if this is the case. Common occurence. In order to prevent this problem close the fresh air vent and leave it on recirculate.

AkinaSpeedStar
01-31-2006, 12:28 AM
damn i cant remember what it says but there is a TSB on alldata for this its an easy fix, it siad something other than that door comment made earley. tell your service rep to look it up or if you have a friend who has all data look it up

Add your comment to this topic!