How do you change spark plugs on 2000 lesabre

g6gtp
12-10-2007, 02:24 PM
the backs look like you cant get to them is there any trick to this any info would be great thanks or pics on how to do this

stuzman
12-10-2007, 06:30 PM
the backs look like you cant get to them is there any trick to this any info would be great thanks or pics on how to do this

No real tricks on getting the plugs out on the back. When I did mine, the hardest part was getting the spark plug wire boots off. It took several minutes of pulling and twisting the boots to get them off. Patience on this part if it's been several years...Make sure to put some silicone grease in the boots when reinstalling to make removal easier the next time.

I found it easier to use a ratchet with a flex handle on the back. For me, I was able to reach #4 and #6 plugs from over the engine. For #2 which was the hardest, I found it easier to jack the car up and pull the plug from underneath the car. Hope this helps!

happydog500
12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
If you go from above the motor, use Right Hand. I'm left handed and it was tough. When I got tiered, I switched to my right hand and found it must of been designed by a Right Handed person.

I told that to the macanic ant the dealer and he laughed. He told me the easy way is to take off the front wheel and reach right in.

Hope this helps,
Chris.

HotZ28
12-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Remove the strut tower brace (two nuts on each side) and set it aside. You can now see and reach the plugs from above. I do #2 & #4 from the passenger side and #6 from the drivers side. I use a 3/8 ratchet and a 3" extension. (I have never used a flex ratchet or universal). As stuzman mentioned, the hardest part is getting the boots off the plugs. Pull & twist, only on only the boot, otherwise you will need a new wire set. After you get the wires off, the rest is gravy. If you still have the original wires, replacing the wires would be a good idea anyway!

g6gtp
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
thanks for your help i read on one site you had to either take off alternator or pull engine forward to get at them that must not be true

Add your comment to this topic!