Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

shaking 96' corsica

punk_rock101
12-09-2007, 05:04 PM
hi everybody, I have a 96 3.1L Corsica and its got a few problems. the first thing i know about it is that its got a bad heater core, so because of this the car leaks water and over heats after driving it for 5 or so miles. i think the water pump or the radiator might also be bad because when i take off the hose that leads to the thermostat housing no water comes out (i replaced the thermostat a couple of months ago). thats what i've diagnosed so far. the question i have is when i try to start the car it takes forever to start and when it does turn over it dies instantly, when i get it to start the idle gets really choppy and shakes the whole car, it does this whenever the car comes to a stop at a red light. does anybody know what this could be? could the heads be damaged because of the frequent overheating? or is it a problem associated with the EVAP system?
i haven't been able to figure it out at all. and help would be appreciated :) thanks

jsgold
12-15-2007, 01:38 AM
I am not sure where to begin here. If the heater core is leaking real bad your floor would be soaking wet and it would smell horrible. I assume this is so, or, is it just not heating up? If the car is losing coolant, yes you can crack a head. I did this once years ago. Do you see coolant leaking anywhere, whether inside the car, on the engine , anywhere? Many possible leak points on a 3.1. Missing and hard starts, possible bad coil pack, weak ignition module, old plugs / wires, clogged fuel filter, the list is many possible items. Does the car have a constant miss? As for acting up at stop signs, does it stall or what? Please advise more detailed information.

punk_rock101
12-18-2007, 09:56 PM
it leaks out of a small tube that points down in the firewall. it drains the radiator fully in one day. someone told me that if the head is warped or cracked steam could be getting into the cylinder chamber and causing the fuel mixture to not spark. the coil packs were replaced 2 years ago along with the fuel injectors so unless they got damaged from the over heating then they should be fine. it leaks oil now which means the gaskets must be bad. there must be something wrong with the head wether its warped cracked or the gasket is bad. i just dont know what else it could be.

jsgold
12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Not sure which tube you are talking about... The only tube I cab think of is the metal coolant tube that runs from the block to the throttle body then to the front of the engine. They rust and leak and there are hoses and a fittting that can leak too. Usually if you have a bad head you would have coolant blowing out the exhaust or into the oil. Is the oil milky or clean? My dads old car had a cracked head and it put pressure right into the coolant system and nearly blew his hoses off. If the leak is visible I wonder if maybe it is something that can be fixed OK. As to why it is running poorly too many things else cab cause this. The ignition pack can be bad, crank sensor can be acting up, EGR, and other things.... One thing foe sure, it is leaking that bad, the head will crack due to loss of coolant if it has not done so already.

punk_rock101
12-22-2007, 02:48 PM
i took it to a shop to get it checked on the machines for bad sensors they didnt find anything, they couldnt even tell what was wrong with it lol. so i think i just found a shitty ass shop. my fault ill try another one. oh and i forgot to mention that there is a really bad smell of gas that goes through the cabin. im not sure if that helps it more

punk_rock101
01-10-2008, 03:02 AM
okay so i got the heater core bypassed for now... and for some reason the alternator went out.. while i was fixing that i decided to clean the tb and the egr valves and all the accessible sensors. i opened the oil cap and saw yelowish sludge inside, im guessing thats the water leaking into the block and skrewing up the oil? while i was at it i replaced the thermostat. that thing was melted! overheating kicked its @ss. i put it all back together and it ran and stopped overheating for a bit but i started it up again later and it started overheating again... i cant seem to fix that. ugh. it looked like the hose coming from the thermostat to the radiator was about to blow up. so could it be the radiator being clogged or something? whenever i turn left while its overheating it cools down rapidly. im thinking the water from the radiator surges to the right while im turning so the water pump can get to it. but why could it still be overheating? anybody have any ideas?

punk_rock101
01-10-2008, 03:02 AM
holy crap i write novels. haha hope people arent annoyed

16th hippy
01-10-2008, 07:48 AM
well, as for the writing novels, at least you are giving some useful info...no harm there. If you are smelling gas, and no fuel leaks anywhere, could be a warped/cracked head or block, a bad head gasket, or a number of others. You should do a compression check, and take a good look at the spark plugs when you remove them.

Add your comment to this topic!