mass airflow sensor... yet another question

pdub0429
12-09-2007, 01:13 PM
ok ford probe 93 gt 188000 miles the mass airflow is acting up on me.. would i be better off just cleaning it or would it be best to just replace it ?

TENGRAM
12-10-2007, 06:42 PM
ok ford probe 93 gt 188000 miles the mass airflow is acting up on me.. would i be better off just cleaning it or would it be best to just replace it ?just clean it. my stock sensor works fine with nearly 200k miles. are you sure the problem is the MAF? have you checked for codes? done any wiring tests for the MAF?

pdub0429
12-10-2007, 06:44 PM
yes ive run tests and the codes are showing the mas ... what would i use to clean it? and how would i go about the process

TENGRAM
12-10-2007, 08:14 PM
yes ive run tests and the codes are showing the mas ... what would i use to clean it? and how would i go about the processall of the mass air sensors i've seen require a "security bit" (basically a torx bit with a hole in the head of it) for removal. you may be able to clean it without removing the sensor from the meter body but it is easier if you remove it. remove the sensor carefully and then use electrical contact cleaner, brake cleaner, or rubbing alcohol, on the end of a q-tip to gently rub the sensor's element wires clean.

afterwards clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes, drive it for at least 20 minutes continuously to allow the computer to reach closed loop (the strategy used once the engine is warmed up entirely), and then recheck codes. if the MAF code returns the problem lies elsewhere. one common problem occurs when the air filter draws air from the engine compartment. fan wash enters the filter and disrupts the air passing the MAF sensor's element. this causes the readings to be inconsistent and inaccurate. that problem can be rectified by using a true CAI or fabricating a shield to prevent the fan wash from entering the MAF. if that's not the case then you'll need to test the wiring by following the steps shown in this chart:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i200/tengram/my5oh/mafwiringtests-2.gif

let us know the results.

sweet122003
12-18-2007, 08:00 PM
need help with wiring(1996 Probe SE Auto)...sorry I dont mean to barge in on your post. Its just i am driving illegally right now because my tail lights and park lights ARN'T working. Its NOT the fuse, and its NOT the bulbs, but I do have a ground wire near my fuse department(near the break pedal) hanging loose freely. One end is BOLTED on the frame of the vehicle and the other end kindof looks like it belongs inserted into a plug of some sort. Please help!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!