Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4x4 shifting cable wont come out - 96 blazer

chcknugget
12-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Help! I'm trying to get the cable out of my front differential, but it absolutely will not budge! I got it off of the actuator no prob, but and I got the little clip off the diff section, but the cable will not slide out... Should I yank on it?

chcknugget
12-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Help, it still won't come out... The cable is now hanging from the front differential.

xeroinfinity
12-09-2007, 08:34 AM
try spraying some wd-40 on it and use wise grips,
though I wouldnt Yank it.
Try a twisting motion, while pulling.

chcknugget
12-09-2007, 08:59 AM
The shaft that the cable goes into wiggles around a little bit. There is also some gear oil leaking out when it wiggles. I'm guessing this is bad?

chcknugget
12-09-2007, 02:12 PM
OK, the fluid has about completely drained out of the front differential. I still haven't gotten the cable out. How difficult is it to replace the selector seal?

old_master
12-09-2007, 03:36 PM
The right side half shaft and axle shaft must be removed to replace the shift cable housing seal. The shift cable housing to carrier surface uses silicone sealant, no gasket. There is a special tool required to align the shift mechanism when reassembling.

chcknugget
12-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Is this something a normal shop could do, or should I take it to the dealer? Since the cable is rusted tight in the selector mechanism it snapped flush with the selector! Now I either have to drill out the old cable end somehow, or have the axle taken apart and the entire selector mechanism replaced. What should I do?

old_master
12-09-2007, 06:52 PM
It does require special tools that not every shop might have. Check around with local shops to see if they are qualified to do the work.

Add your comment to this topic!