Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

turbo a caddie???

RB26DETTT
12-08-2007, 04:10 AM
i have 88 eldo with some stuff done, intake, exaust, custom headers, injectors, etc.... i would like to turbo it good idea or bad???? i dont want more than like 8 psi would i be ok with that?? any one ever done any thing like it??

534BC
12-09-2007, 01:42 PM
It would be great for adding power, turboing instead of the intake / exhaust mods might have been good too. IN OTHER WORDS, the header/intake work already done may be "wasted"

Anyways, the older (70's) caddys are pretty sick in the breathing depeartment and turbo really can wake them up nicely while still holding up very well.

An 88 eldo though has the aluminum engine and I question what it can take really. DON't they have some bottom end and sleeve and head gasket trouble anyways? IT MAY NOT BE ABLE TO HOLD UP WELL.

Schister66
12-10-2007, 02:35 AM
Any internal combustion engine can be turboed...some are better than others. The problem you may have is fitment, but with time and some thought, you should be able to work something out.

As for the power goals...i dont know much about the car you're planning to boost, but i'll tell you one thing. The first sign that someone is new to turbo setups is that they base their goals in terms of PSI. Make a reasonable horsepower/torque goal because PSI and power output vary between turbos. Also, the efficiency of a setup dictates power output at a certain pressure ratio on a given turbo.

Give more specs about the engine in question and we'll go from there. Pictures would also be a plus.

drdisque
12-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm guessing your eldorado has a 4.9

If so, 534BC is right, that engine does not have a particularly stout bottom end and probably can't handle more than 4 or 5 lbs of boost.

Also, turbocharging a FWD V8 is an extremely involved process as there is so little room to work with.

RB26DETTT
12-13-2007, 04:54 AM
no it has the 4.5L i was told that there is not a big difference from the 4.9 exept the port fuel injection???

drdisque
12-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Yeah, same goes for the 4.5, they're virtually identical structurally.

RB26DETTT
12-13-2007, 11:10 PM
i just got a spearco intercooler from my freind that totaled his eclipse gsx and i got a greddy type s blow off valve and a autometer boost gauge all for $250 i have never heard of spearco is it a good intercooler????

Schister66
12-15-2007, 01:59 PM
As for the Caddilac, basing things in terms of boost is the first sign that you really have no idea what you're talking about. If you have 2 different turbos, psi means entirely different things for each of them. I dont know actual specs about the engine or i'd be able to give you a better idea as to what your potential for the car is...whats the compression ratio for starters?

Generally a 150-200% increase in power is doable, but in your case, the tranny is going to be the limiting factor...not the bottom end.

i just got a spearco intercooler from my freind that totaled his eclipse gsx and i got a greddy type s blow off valve and a autometer boost gauge all for $250 i have never heard of spearco is it a good intercooler????

Spearco makes decent intercoolers...the Greddy BOV is a rather small valved BOV, but should still work and the boost gauge is the same one i run...sounds good

RB26DETTT
12-15-2007, 09:33 PM
the compression ratio is 9.0:1
234.4hp@315ft/lbs
what do you think a realistic goal is after the turbo???

Schister66
12-16-2007, 03:20 PM
With that compression you can probably make decent power on pump gas without worrying too much. I'm going to assume its a cast iron block w/ decently built internals. I think that if you do things correctly and find a good tuner, somewhere in the 400whp range isn't out of the question. Now its just a matter of finding the parts that will work well for you and your setup. If you want help let me know...i've done more than one turbo setups in my day :p

RB26DETTT
12-16-2007, 06:35 PM
ok cool i think what i am going to do about fitement is my headers go into a y-pipe where i was thinking i could just weld a t3 flange for the turbo because there is enough room for a turbo and is close enough to run my oil lines the only problem that i can see is charge pipe any ideas??? i have my fmic mounted i just need a route for the piping. or could i use silicone hose i've seen that done good or no??

Moppie
12-17-2007, 11:04 PM
RB26DETTT If you want to Turbo your car there are 2 ways of doing it:

1: Buy random parts that look cool, and then try and fit it all together. Then get upset because it blows up, or doesn't work, and so you spend more money than you need to on more parts that still might or might not work, etc etc
Untill either it sort of works, but could work better, or you give up and move on.

2: Stop, and work out what you need first. Draw up and plan, and work from it.

First, work out how much power you want to have.
2nd, work out what you need to sustain that level of power.
Start at one end and work in:
How much grip to the tyres have?
Are brakes going to be big enough to deal with increased speeds?
Can the suspension handle that much power?
Are the axles/drive shafts strong enough?
Is the deferential strong enough?
Is the gear box strong enough?
Will you need to upgrade the clutch or Torque convertor?
Is the engine strong enough?

Is you answer no or don't know, to any of those questions then you need to plan on doing work to those parts, or replacing them.

Based on the existing posts in this thread, it would appear you are going to have to at least work on the engine internals and gear box.

Then, you need to work out how you are going to turbo it.
How much air do you need to flow?
What sort of boost levels do you need to meet your hp target?
How big an intercooler do you need?
How does the current fuel and ignition system deal with pressurized intake?
Does it supply enough fuel to meet your hp target?
Where are you going to put the turbo?
How will its heat effect surrounding parts?
Do you need more than 1 turbo?

Again, you need to have accurate answers to these questions, or have a plan to deal with them when you get there.

Then you can start buying parts, and start working on the project.

RB26DETTT
12-18-2007, 04:36 AM
ok i will go route 2 and do some more reserch. that is a good point i hadent thought that far you probably saved me some time and money. where is a good place to do some reserch and after that reserch is done what company do you recomend???

drdisque
12-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Oh yeah, I also just had the thought that STS might be a turbo supplier that you might want to look into as their systems seem perfect for this type of application - http://www.ststurbo.com/

RB26DETTT
12-19-2007, 01:43 AM
ya thats a great system but if i build the turbo system my self i might save some money and im still going off that same idea they have. i know it takes alot of money to turbo a car but i want to go realetively cheap due to the fact i don't know how my motor will handle boost so if i run into a problem i can fix it and still pay the bills. after i figure out what my motor needs to be efficient i will probably pice it together or if the sts turbo is a better option i will go that route just depends on what the motor needs and is in my price range:thumbsup:

RB26DETTT
12-19-2007, 01:58 AM
oh and off topic what are the stars under your guys name and what do they mean??? and where would be a good place to look for the info on boosting my motor???

Add your comment to this topic!