Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

sohc question

blu3kgt
12-06-2007, 01:08 PM
do the rocker arms have to be re adjusted every so often??because i get this tick in my engine and it sounds like it's coming from the valve cover....when i cold start the engine, the ticking is excessive, but once it warms up, the ticking will stop and then after a few moments it will come back..and anytime i come to a dead stop and at idle it will come and go away like before....but once i get going it will go away.... any idea what it might be?? it's a sohc so the 3rd gen lifters that solve that problem for the dohc don't apply to the engine sohc engine so what do i do to fix this??

Crackhedbob341
12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Lifter tick. The lash adjusters in the 3rd generation are bigger than 1st and 2nd, thus providing more lubrication, without the "Stick Valve" sound. You can upgrade to eliminate the sound. I believe we have 1 MM opening, rather than the 3rd generation 3MM.

Since you have have the SOHC, maybe not.

It's common. No worries.

blu3kgt
12-06-2007, 01:42 PM
yea the 3rd gen lifters don't apply to the sohc, i have heard it's normal but i was just wondering if there is any remedy for this problem because when people hear the engine they ask me if it's messed up

Crackhedbob341
12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Haha if they are in the car tell them if they don't like it, then to get out. If they are outside, run them over. I don't think there's a remedy, except I have once heard of using redline fluids. I know they if you rev to about 2000 it disappears for a little while.

youngvr4
12-06-2007, 02:47 PM
if it is lifter tick, some use a thicker oil, and sometimes that takes care of the problem

talskinyguy
12-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Or run some ATF in your oil for a few miles before you change your oil next time.

Add your comment to this topic!