Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'00 vortec 6 auto

joeshorts
12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Just purchased this used from a dealer, 90k miles and have run 2 tanks of gas thru it and am averaging 12.5 mpg. :banghead: Unacceptable. I will change plugs, wires, rotor, and cap, and put in a k&N filter tomorrow, but what else can I do to get her running a little more gas friendly?

old_master
12-06-2007, 06:10 PM
At 90K miles, several things are due: AC Delco Platinum or double platinum plugs ONLY. AC Delco or Autolite Professional series wires. Preferrably AC Delco cap and rotor. All oxygen sensors, (Bosch). Any name brand air filter, not Fram or K&N. Any name brand fuel filter. Check the brakes and make sure they aren't dragging. Check front wheel alignment. These items should get your mileage up as high as possible. Keep in mind, driving habits and weather conditions affect fuel mileage also.

joeshorts
12-09-2007, 11:02 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/JoeShorts/distrcap.jpg

joeshorts
12-09-2007, 11:07 PM
The Distributor cap was corroded, but as I was taking it off, the front torx screw was just spinning and spinning. Upon closer inspection the piece that the torx screws into to hold it down is broken off. My chevy dealer says I need to replace the whole distributor, thier price is over 320 new, napa says 180 ish. I threw on a c clamp to get me by until I can get the part ordered or go to the local junkyards to find a replacement.

old_master
12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
The clamp should work temporarily. I question the corrosion though. When the cap is replaced, a small amount of silicone dielectric grease is applied to each terminal in the cap, as the current passes through the grease it crystalizes and could be mistaken for corrosion.

Add your comment to this topic!