Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 Mercury Topaz Transmission issues?

Intabus
12-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Okay, here is the deal. I live in Minnesota so this time of year we have a goodly amount of snow on the ground. Well, i got my 93 topaz stuck in the driveway. So i left it overnight since it was in the driveway and out of the way. Next morning i get in and start to try and get it unstuck. rocking it back and forth and soforth. get out, throw some snow under the tires blah blah. ive done it a million times before in more cars than i can count. Anyways, after about 10 mins of doing this, it suddenly sounds like im in neutral. no popping sound, no crash , nothing. just no longer in drive. my fiancee comes out and wants to help. i ask her if the wheels are moving, cause i dont see the driver side one moving any longer. she watched the passenger side and i put it in drive and ease on the gas. she reports that no, the wheels are NOT moving.

It is the same in D, R, 1 , and 2. No response from the transmission. Is it possible that it is stuck? And if so, how can i unstick it? I checked the AT fluid and it didnt look low or high. Nothing had leaked onto the snow when we pushed the car into its parking spot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, cause i have a 94 jeep cherokee as well, and it really really doesnt like to start in the cold weather. takes about 15 mins of turning over to get it to start and now the battery is dead.

Add your comment to this topic!