Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

no lights in radio 2000 ls

boss2222
12-05-2007, 11:18 PM
hello I remember reading awhile back something on this issue with the lights for the stereo coming on and going off ocaisonaly. There was something about a bad ground wire in the radio? Does anyone have any further assistance on this matter. I could use a few pointers as to removal of stereo ( any tricks ) and repair of the ground issue
thank you roy

shorod
12-06-2007, 08:25 PM
The first thing to do is make sure the radio is the only instrument with the lighting issue, and it's not a dimmer switch. If it's definitely confined to the radio, then you may be able to open the radio and trace the circuit for the switch lighting.

On another Ford product, I had a similar issue and was able to remove the radio, open it up, and resolder a few vias and solder joints to get the lighting to work reliably again.

To remove the radio, you need to remove the center dash trim piece. I believe I had to open the ash tray, then simply pull the trim piece out. There are a couple of snap-in tabs at the top of the trim and a couple tabs outside the lower area of the radio. Then there are screws holding the radio in. Remove the screws, slide the radio out and disconnect. I may be missing a few steps, but once you get the trim piece out, it should be pretty intuitive.

-Rod

boss2222
12-07-2007, 02:28 AM
thank you for your input. I pulled the unit out easily ( surprised me how easy ) after removing the face plate I could get a good look at the inner board that faces front that has the area for display. Yes by the way this is the only light not working. For a long time it would come on and off as it pleased with a little nudge ( smacking the front of it ) it would come back on. Anyway looking at the display area in the top left corner of the glass area there is a little corner of black ( as in left by something electronic blowing). I can't see clearly what went but I would guess there lies my problem. Does anyone know where I can have this repaired or better yet I would like to change it to a CD instead of the cassette player I currently have. So anyone out there have a unit to sell or know how to get current one repaired
thank you

shorod
12-07-2007, 05:47 PM
If you're saying there is an arc mark inside the corner of the display, that is normal for a vacuum flourescent display. I'm not sure the mechanics behind it, but suspect it has something to do with the hermetic sealing process.

Are you saying the display is the only part that doesn't work, it's not the lighing for the buttons, etc?

-Rod

boss2222
12-10-2007, 07:15 AM
thank you for the input again. I thought that something blew in there. Yes the answer to your question is the only lights that do NOT work are the display , all other lights on radio,dash etc are working fine,

bearfan59
01-31-2010, 10:15 PM
I know this is a reallllly old thread but this is my problem to a t and it just sort of ends no happy ending is there a fix for this ?

joegr
02-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I know this is a reallllly old thread but this is my problem to a t and it just sort of ends no happy ending is there a fix for this ?

Yes, replace the head-unit (radio).

bearfan59
02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Thanks alot and are new head units available still or is this a search and retrieve mission?:iceslolan

joegr
02-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks alot and are new head units available still or is this a search and retrieve mission?:iceslolan

You can probably still order one from Ford for an unreasonable price. I would get one from a junk yard.

I've had good luck with the outfit below, in the past (haven't tried it in recent years.)
http://findpart.com/

Add your comment to this topic!