Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 blazer runs, bogs

bluebuick91
12-05-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey all, got the blazer to start, changed the ignition switch. Seems to start ok now. Was revving the motor, and could hear that a wire was arcing, so found the coil wire had a hole in it. taped it up until I can get to auto parts store. Looking at the wires, cap, rotor they all look like they are original equip. So am wondiering, should I chage them-cap/rotor/wires/plugs and do I need to change the coil as well? I don't know how long the wire was arcing. The problem I have now, is that it will idle fine, but when I give it gas, it has no power, just boggs and when you drive it feels like it is surging with no power. I didn't have a problem until the plugs were changed by a friend. Could he have crossed a wire or something? Would it idle ok like that? I also pulled some codes off of it, they were 0101, 0300 any help would be appreciated.

peterjon1
12-05-2007, 11:07 PM
For bogging and surging, also look at vacuum lines. It's possible that one was disconnected/torn when doing the plugs. My '94 had lines that looked fine - except where it was cracked right at the intake manifold connection. 7/32 ID hose for the main line, 5/32 for the rest on mine.

DelCoch
12-06-2007, 02:00 AM
One of the plugs may have got broke when installed, or the could be crap pugs - what kind, brand were they? Also, with higher rpm's, at more than an idle, the coil wire is probably arching through the tape you put on it. And yes, it's very easy to get the plug wires on the wrong plugs, as the Blazer has a weird firing order. I imagine the coil is ok. Replace the plug wires, the coil wire, dist cap, rotor, etc, and see where you're at. As suggested, check the vacuum lines.

Most people on this board suggest Delco for a dist cap. Some of the after market stuff is crap. You should do a search on this board for "tune up", before buying any parts. Here's a good thread to get you started (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=768557).

Keep in mind, the codes do not indicate the is part bad, it only gives a direction to go when trouble shooting.

P0101 = Mass Air Flow System Performance
P0300 = Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Add your comment to this topic!