Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

08 malibu

08malibu
12-05-2007, 06:39 AM
Hi guys just joined anybody have interest in the new malibu?

Johnny R
12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Yes I'm interested in it. But I've learned over the years that it's in my best interest, regardless how appealing the advertising, to wait for at least one year after the new intro. It's nice to be first, of course, and have envious neighbours for a little while. But it's nicer to have some bugs worked out.

slls
12-05-2007, 10:53 AM
NO, not at them prices, the older model was $4000 cheaper. For what you get for $4K, it's not worth it.

wpbharry
12-05-2007, 03:59 PM
I've test-driven it. It's a step up from my '04 and the press is giving it rave reviews, but I agree. Wait until the '09s, at a minimum. Better yet, the '10s.

The Aura, its sister, only has average reliability - the 4 cylinder is a bit above average, the V-6 a bit below.

It took about 6 months for the infamous power steering failures to start hitting the press on the '04s. Not suggesting that anything like that will happen to the '08, but better safe than sorry.

Resale value is another area of concern. Right now, GM has residuals artifically pumped up, but in a year, we'll know the REAL resale value.

08malibu
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Well guys and gals i did buy one guess i'm the ginni pig.
I bought the red tint with titanium int .So far so good handles great quiet and smooth. Also not my first new car. just traded in an 05 gto for it the gas milage was killing me for a daily commute car. Althought the 6 cyl malibu is not great on gas it's not that bad either. And with 400 pony's under the Gto's hood i was always stepping on it. :grinyes:

Yes I'm interested in it. But I've learned over the years that it's in my best interest, regardless how appealing the advertising, to wait for at least one year after the new intro. It's nice to be first, of course, and have envious neighbours for a little while. But it's nicer to have some bugs worked out.

dwalmop
12-06-2007, 12:08 PM
That had to have been a painful trade!!!!

slls
12-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Well guys and gals i did buy one guess i'm the ginni pig.
I bought the red tint with titanium int .So far so good handles great quiet and smooth. Also not my first new car. just traded in an 05 gto for it the gas milage was killing me for a daily commute car. Althought the 6 cyl malibu is not great on gas it's not that bad either. And with 400 pony's under the Gto's hood i was always stepping on it. :grinyes:

None for sale in my area, at least not advertised. Curious what you gave for it. I just can't wait to see the advertised price and when the discounts start.

08malibu
12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Not at all bought the gto for 20k traded it in for $19600.
Not bad at all car wasn't for everyday driving for me anyway.
needed family car i also have a 71 olds 442 for the weekends.

That had to have been a painful trade!!!!

08malibu
12-06-2007, 09:00 PM
not sure what you mean? they were asking $25100 STICKER AND THEY GAVE IT TO ME FOR $ 24300 $800 off sticker i thought it was a pretty good deal other dealers were not coming off sticker and they were nasty about it.
plus this dealer gave me $1100. more on my trade than everybody else.
by the way "love the car blows away the gto in comfort and toys.

None for sale in my area, at least not advertised. Curious what you gave for it. I just can't wait to see the advertised price and when the discounts start.

wpbharry
12-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Patience is a virtue. In my case, by waiting until June '04 to get my Maxx, GM had decided to offer a $4,000 rebate (not likely to ever happen again), the dealer gave me a $1600 discount and they also gave me $500 more on my trade-in.

My Chevy dealer currently has a $1500 "market adjustment" added to the sticker on the 4 '08s they have in stock.

It's Fall 2003 all over again. Same $1500 add-on back then. Even the advertising and the enthusiast reviews take me back 4 years. The '04 was supposed to be the Accord and Camry killer. The '08 has the looks, but will it have the reliability? I'm not taking any more Chevy chances.

slls
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
not sure what you mean? they were asking $25100 STICKER AND THEY GAVE IT TO ME FOR $ 24300 $800 off sticker i thought it was a pretty good deal other dealers were not coming off sticker and they were nasty about it.
plus this dealer gave me $1100. more on my trade than everybody else.
by the way "love the car blows away the gto in comfort and toys.

First ad in my area today. 2008 Malibu 2400 full power, A/C CD player w/MP3, keyless entry and C/C. Selling for &19,421, $819 off sticker. Next to it a 2008 Impala 3500 V6 loaded for $18,942.
If GM can keep selling them at that price they will make money. Time will tell if the consumer will hold out for larger discounts.
I am glad I bought my 04 3.5 V6 with the $4000 discount,. It has been a great car, not as quiet as the 08, I like it though.

08malibu
12-20-2007, 05:07 PM
thats what i got 800 off sticker but my car started at $25100 not 20k and change different car v-6 with 252hp lt2 that waas probably a base model

First ad in my area today. 2008 Malibu 2400 full power, A/C CD player w/MP3, keyless entry and C/C. Selling for &19,421, $819 off sticker. Next to it a 2008 Impala 3500 V6 loaded for $18,942.
If GM can keep selling them at that price they will make money. Time will tell if the consumer will hold out for larger discounts.
I am glad I bought my 04 3.5 V6 with the $4000 discount,. It has been a great car, not as quiet as the 08, I like it though.

wpbharry
12-21-2007, 06:01 AM
A salesman friend (we really are buddies) told me at the dealership yesterday that the 3.6L in the '08 Malibu already has a major problem. It's prone to unannounced stalling, while in gear. They all experienced this at the local Ride&Drive comparison. A USA newpaper reporter experienced it too, while driving the car on a test drive for a review. And bashed the car as a result. Reviews are suddenly turning "not stellar". But it's still flying out of showrooms. Purchasers are mostly Chevy (or GM) loyalists. My dealership has seen no conquest sales so far.

The LTZ on the showroom floor has a misaligned dash (similar to the slightly misaligned one in my '04 Maxx). Guess the Fairfax plant is feeling the pressure to get more on the lots, super fast.

Folks over in the Edmund's forums have also recently become critical. Right now, they're bashing it because it has less interior volume than a Hyundai Elantra.

So much for the short-lived initial love affair.

08malibu
12-21-2007, 06:50 AM
hog wash I havn't seen any articles such as that nice way to spread a bad rumor.

A salesman friend (we really are buddies) told me at the dealership yesterday that the 3.6L in the '08 Malibu already has a major problem. It's prone to unannounced stalling, while in gear. They all experienced this at the local Ride&Drive comparison. A USA newpaper reporter experienced it too, while driving the car on a test drive for a review. And bashed the car as a result. Reviews are suddenly turning "not stellar". But it's still flying out of showrooms. Purchasers are mostly Chevy (or GM) loyalists. My dealership has seen no conquest sales so far.

The LTZ on the showroom floor has a misaligned dash (similar to the slightly misaligned one in my '04 Maxx). Guess the Fairfax plant is feeling the pressure to get more on the lots, super fast.

Folks over in the Edmund's forums have also recently become critical. Right now, they're bashing it because it has less interior volume than a Hyundai Elantra.

So much for the short-lived initial love affair.

PTG1212
12-21-2007, 10:16 AM
I just read all the reviews on 08 Malibu on Edmunds. All owners rave about the car. There isn't one bad review.

08malibu
12-21-2007, 08:35 PM
agreed!! he probably wants to but one but cant ..so he has to down it.

I just read all the reviews on 08 Malibu on Edmunds. All owners rave about the car. There isn't one bad review.

wpbharry
12-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Actually, I don't like it that much at all. They one on the showroom floor has the black and brick interior, the one that I hadn't seen before, and even the salesmen think it looks like a bad Halloween joke. I'll admit the cocoa and cashmere is well done.

Go to the 2008 Malibu forum in Edmund's Inside Line to see what I mean. I'm not gonna link to another forum in this one.

The USA Today review link is as follows:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...N.htm?csp=N008

I don't have time right now to fuss with the link if it doesn't work. The date of the article was around 12/7/07.

Three lousy Chevys in a row (and betcha the '08 will follow the pattern. Look at the marginal reliability of its sister car, the Aura, so far), so time to say hello Toyota. Like nearly everyone else, time to abandon Detroit. That upcoming '09 Venza might be a good replacement for the Maxx.

Consider my opinion to be typical of the major hurdle that GM has to clear with the '08 Malibu, plus all those import loyalists that won't set foot in a Chevy dealership to begin with....

The Aura sold like hotcakes for the first three months and then sales fell off the cliff. Rebates on that are up to $2250 already this year.

PTG1212
12-22-2007, 08:07 AM
Since your USAToday link didn't work, I went to the site and did a search on 2008 Malibu review. This is what I found:
Malibu in the Market
In the simplest terms, Chevy now has a legitimate competitor to pit against the Camry and Accord. I can see the four-cylinder LT wooing shoppers with its value statement. One of the LTs I tested though, sported a $21,105 price tag, including destination, making it a tough call against an Accord LX-P sedan that was on hand for comparison at a near identical price. I'd still give the edge to the Accord in terms of interior quality, but the Malibu's ride and handling, plus the plethora of color combinations, could easily tip the scales in Chevy's favor.

The fact that the Camry didn't seem impressive next to either one speaks volumes about how quickly a redesigned model can outdistance a competitor that's only a few years old. For once, Chevy seems to have built a new model that competes with the best in the marketplace, rather than just another average entry.

I'm sure some issues will show up over time, no car is perfect, but I'm just not seeing the complaints you are referring to. I have no problem with critical views but they should be supported by facts if they are to be helpful.

No one will like every new car. Even those who like the car, won't like every exterior color or every interior color combination. People who like Toyota's or Honda's may well decide to stay with their brand. None of this has anything to do with the quality or reliability of the new 2008 Malibu. Yes, the history of the Malibu isn't great, but my 2001 Malibu is far from the worst car I've ever owned.

When I go to replace my cars, I frankly don't know what I'll buy. But my decision will be based upon cars that appeal to me in terms of style, quality and value. I'll look at both professional reviews as well as owner reviews and I'll make an informed decision based upon facts not emotion.

wpbharry
12-23-2007, 05:34 AM
Here's the correct link:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/reviews/healey/2007-12-06-drive07-malibu_N.htm?csp=N008

As you can see, the date of the article is 12/6/07. The title is "Like a Day at the Beach, Grit Mars Malibu Sun".

There are other recent articles too in other pubs. One was titled "Don't Be Too Quick to Crown the New Malibu". With Christmas 2 days away, I don't have time to search for that right now. Maybe after New Year's.

After 3.5 years with the Maxx, I'm spoiled and would have a hard time going back to a regular 4-door sedan. Funny thing is that the new 'Bu is just about identical underneath to the Maxx (same Epsilon I platform. You better hope they fixed the front suspension gremlins on the new one. It'll take 2 years or so to tell). They lengthened the wheelbase 6 inches (now it's the same as the Maxx, G6 and Aura), but it seems it lost rear legroom. And it lost trunk space (and trunk accessibility, thanks to the svelte sloping roofline).

After the near-limo-like accomodations in the rear of the Maxx, you think I'd go back to a regular sedan? Especially one that many are calling "claustrophobic" (see Edmund's IL, among others)?

If it makes you feel any better, at a recent Auto Show, I hated the new Accord, flat out. Malibu was better by a mile. But that old Chevy reliability, or lack thereof.....

Add your comment to this topic!