Monroe Quick Strut repeated problems?????

redgtxdi
12-04-2007, 10:28 PM
First off........Hi to Mike Gerber. Finally followed your advice & installed all 4 QuickStruts.

Unfortunately.............they've been nothing but TROUBLE!!!!!!!! :disappoin

Pep Boys ran a Black Friday ad for 30% off Monroe. I wandered in to see if it included QuickStruts & it did! (yea!) $118.99 per corner. (Nice price).

First, the driver's side front rattled when run over dummy dots. Everything was as completely solid/tight/checked/double-checked as it could be. Exchanged that strut & the 2nd strut was perfect. 1 week & not a peep outa that sucker!

Next, I had suspected the passenger front was 'clunking' and sure enough, it was. This last weekend, I exchanged that one. Once again.........replacement is good.

(Yes, I checked/doubled checked links, bushings, brakes, etc. etc....it ain't gettin' any tighter than my Camry, plus I think the fact that the *replacements* are quiet, would suggest the strut's the problem.)

Lastly......it seemed to take a few days, but if I really aggrivate the passenger-rear,(dummy dots or rippled road) it wants to rattle similarly to the way the driver's front did. (I described the sound as a cartoon-version of a diving board, but it definitely resonated up thru the top of the strut and is doing so similarly in the rear)

My guess is one of 2 problems............

#1.) The parts being used (specifically the MOUNTS) are just not up to snuff. (I've read rumors that even KYB falls short of OEM & I think they **ARE** the OEM for Toyota struts) Perhaps, too, it's also a shortfall in the springs, seats, rubbers......I dunno.....but that's my guess #1.

#2.) Perhaps the folks putting them together are doing a half-ass job & that's where all of my problems are coming from???

All this & more posted over at TN, but most there don't seem to care much except to bash Monroe, so figured I'd post here.

TIA ~Red

xfeejayx
12-04-2007, 10:58 PM
i had a similar clunking sound. i know you said everything is tight, but check the connection of the tie rod to the sway bar in the rear. its easy to overlook because its really hard to tighten since the allen head at the end of the bolt strips really easy. Thats what was causing my problem.

redgtxdi
12-04-2007, 11:21 PM
i had a similar clunking sound. i know you said everything is tight, but check the connection of the tie rod to the sway bar in the rear. its easy to overlook because its really hard to tighten since the allen head at the end of the bolt strips really easy. Thats what was causing my problem.

I assume you mean the sway bar end link?? (tight like a mofo) :wink:

And for the situation in general, keep in mind......

#1.) D/F made rattle sound, replacement fixed it

#2.) P/F made clunk sound, replacement fixed it

#3.) P/R makes rattle sound like D/F. (Haven't bothered with yet as it's not as bad as D/F was)

And in the case of #1 & #3, the rattling *definitely* resonates via the top of the strut. I'm about 99% sure it's something to do w/ the strut mount. (quality or assembly).

Oh, I also forgot to mention that I e-mailed Monroe about this yesterday & still have not heard back from them. :shakehead

Mike Gerber
12-05-2007, 05:56 PM
redgtxdi,

Sorry you are having all these problems. I didn't have any problems when I used them in the rear of my 98. Everything was as quiet as can be and it was much firmer than the OEM struts, at least after 100,000 miles of driving on the OEM's. I got mine at Pep Boys too, back in the Summer of 06. $119 a corner is really a great price. I think I paid about $170 a side. Let us know what you hear from Monroe. I would be interested in finding out what the end result is.

Mike

redgtxdi
12-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Whew......3 days later. A bit much for customer service, but at least I *did* eventually get a reply..............

Hello Red,

I am sorry you are experiencing difficulties with our Quick Struts. The
front units we did have some assembly issues back in the middle of last
year that we corrected. It may have been that you initially received some
older units. Regarding the rear, we have not had any reported issues with
noise or fit other than they were incorrectly listed in catalog for the
Lexus ES300 or the Toyota Avalon. These two vehicles use a different coil
springs so our Quick Struts don't work for them. We do differentiate and
offer separate Quick Strut part numbers for models that have the 4
cylinders vs the 6 cylinders.

Sincerely,

J
Monroe Team Member

So, it sounds like I might be doing yet another swap this weekend. The folks at Pep Boys are gonna think I'm a total idiot & don't know what the !$*^# I'm doing.

:screwy:

Mike Gerber
12-06-2007, 02:46 PM
"So, it sounds like I might be doing yet another swap this weekend. The folks at Pep Boys are gonna think I'm a total idiot & don't know what the !$*^# I'm doing."

Show the people at Pep Boys a copy of your email if they give you any grief, but I doubt they will. Sounds like you will have a very quiet ride, very soon.

Mike

redgtxdi
12-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, as a short-term update, I took her for a test drive this weekend. NO NOISE from the P/R strut.

I don't know whether to be happy or scared. :wink:

Anyway.............I've got about an hour drive to make this afternoon so we'll see what happens when I do that one.

I'd actually prefer that things to stay quiet, though, being mechanically minded, I've never liked the idea of things "fixing themselves". However, maybe this is something more related to "break in" or "seating" than a true problem.

I'll post back later after today's drive. :uhoh:

redgtxdi
12-16-2007, 05:35 PM
So as fate would have it, it appears the passenger/front strut (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2097337#) is makin' noise after all. (Yes, even the wife notices it!!!)

P/R seems to be staying fairly quiet. (I can hear the mount rattle on very rare occasion, but I'm just so tired of replacing struts (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2097337#), I think I'm just gonna live with it)

So, now I sit here on Sunday afternoon, trying to enjoy football w/ the back of my brain tellin' me........"You'd better get on the phone & start callin' around for another P/F Quickstrut".

But the front of my brain's sayin........"Come on, this is getting ridiculous now. Can't Monroe properly assemble a strut assembly, for cryin' outloud?"

The D/F strut has been perfect since I replaced it. Do I roll the dice again & try strut #3 for the P/F???????

**link removed per TOS**

Brian R.
12-17-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't know if this is relevant, but have you seen this post in the FAQ thread?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3202784&postcount=19

Mike Gerber
12-17-2007, 03:57 PM
So as fate would have it, it appears the passenger/front strut (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2097337#) is makin' noise after all. (Yes, even the wife notices it!!!)

P/R seems to be staying fairly quiet. (I can hear the mount rattle on very rare occasion, but I'm just so tired of replacing struts (http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2097337#), I think I'm just gonna live with it)

So, now I sit here on Sunday afternoon, trying to enjoy football w/ the back of my brain tellin' me........"You'd better get on the phone & start callin' around for another P/F Quickstrut".

But the front of my brain's sayin........"Come on, this is getting ridiculous now. Can't Monroe properly assemble a strut assembly, for cryin' outloud?"

The D/F strut has been perfect since I replaced it. Do I roll the dice again & try strut #3 for the P/F???????

**link removed per TOS**

Sorry you are still having problems with the Quick Struts.

I would replace it again, but there are a couple of things I would do first.

First, I would make absolutely certain the noise is not coming from anything else on that side. Check the sway bar end links and the sway bar bushings very carefully. Jack up the front of the car and try to move them around and duplicate the noise.

Second, I would call or email Monroe again and try to find out if they have some way of identifying that bad batch of struts they mentioned in their email back to you. Tell them what you have been experiencing. They must have some type of production number or manufacturing date on them. That way, when you get the new replacement, you can first check it to see if it is from the same batch or period of manufacture, before you install it. Places like Pep Boy may have large quantities of these in their distribution center stock for some time. I would take a copy of Monroe's email response to Pep Boys with you when you go to reorder it.

Again, sorry you are still experiencing the problem.

Mike

redgtxdi
12-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Mike,

Thanks again for the replies!

I've definitely tugged & jiggled & tried my darndest to make either the sway bar, bushing, link ends....heck ANYTHING to make noise......but alas........they're all solid as can be!

And to be brutally honest.........I know where the sound is coming from. It's EXACTLY like the rattle that was present in the D/F that went away 100% when I replaced it. (Same rattle that is also present but very rare in the P/R....again, I'm just too exhausted to care anymore about the rear, but I know it's there.)

I will forward more info to Monroe & see if they can help, 'cuz I don't want to break down & just give up 'cuz then I've just spent a lot of money for inferior suspension.......imho!!

redgtxdi
12-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Well, it's been 3 days since I sent the e-mail. (I simply replied to the e-mail I originally got from them) And no response.

I wonder if they just put me on "ignore".

:frown:

redgtxdi
12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
UPdate...........

Had the guys at my local Big O (handle our work trucks) check it out. (They're also a Monroe dealer). Owner told me he'd give me his opinion. When I went to pick up the car (oil change) owner was out & worker bee told me he test drove it & it sounded fine. (methinks he checked nothing).

Soooooooo.............before I swap it out again tomorrow, I decided to tighten the center nut on the strut about a half-turn to see if things might've relaxed in the strut. Well, when I tried this on the D/F strut (since replaced) it was a smooth turn. On this one, however, the sucker took the rubber for a ride (or rode on the rubber itself) and made a gnarly rubber-skidding sound. I backed the nut off & came back to the original position where it started to tighten, then loosened again & so I drew it another half-turn to "tight" again.

Any idea why it did that??

redgtxdi
12-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Well, let's jump to 12/22/07...........things *MIGHT* be solved. (I reserve judgment in lieu of a solid month of quiet, first)

I have now installed QUICKSTRUT #7 (3rd passenger/front) in the QuickStrut fiasco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went back to my local Pep Boys & had them thoroughly look thru the "date code" #'s. My local one had the same date stamps on 2 other of the same part # (171678 right / front).

Sooooooooo........we went to work on the phone & started calling other PepBoys. Finally found one that had a couple in stock that were a different date code. (06226 was bad, these were 06205).

First thing I noticed is that Monroe's Quick Strut is definitely NOT well insulated compared to Toyota OEM. I took the old OEM strut assembly & gave it a good pounding. Couldn't get it to rattle from ANY point no matter what I tried.

Then I took the Monroe Quick Strut & sure enough.......banging my first against the spring will cause the thing to rattle most notably!! At this point I feared the worst. Fed up.....I installed it anyway. I spent a good 5 minutes making sure that the strut was sitting in its bolt/stud holes as most liberally as possible to ensure the most friendly position possible. (Probably doesn't make a difference once all the bolts are torqued, but hey, I tried).

Took it for a test drive & guess what..........SILENT!!! No clunks......no squeaks.......no rattles. I gave it the dummy-dot test &.....nuttin'!!! I took it over some speed bumps........nuttin'. Took it on some s-curves over dummy-dots......nuttin'. COULD THIS TRULY BE THE LAST QUICK STRUT I INSTALL???

Time will tell......but in the meantime.......I ***HIGHLY*** recommend going w/ OEM components. Use whatever strut you want........but DEFINITELY use oem mounts, bearings, stoppers & rubber isolators......PERIOD!!!

(enter exhausted smiley here) P.S. Monroe NEVER returned my e-mail for help! :nono:

Mike Gerber
12-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, I'm glad your problem finally seems solved. Let's hope you were just getting repeatly bad struts from the same manufacturing batch. I will keep my fingers crossed for you for the next month or so. Now I'm sorry I ever recommended these things.

Mike

redgtxdi
12-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Well, definitely not your fault!! In fact, I originally agreed that these things were an idea whose time was looooooooong overdue!!

Heck, even Toyota admittedly revised the Gen4 strut mounts themselves, so they ain't God's gift either.........but despite Monroe's good idea in theory, in practice it's a bit more complex.

And, hey, if nothing else I think I could probably drop a strut out of any Gen 4 Camry in world record time........if they ever put that in the Olympics.......:lol:

xfeejayx
12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
kicker: both passenger struts are clunking as of yesterday.
p/f: started a month ago, old with ~ 80k, no biggie, time to replace anyway.
p/r: started within last week, quickstrut installed this past summer :nutkick:

GSS123
12-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Hey Mike, I follow a lot of your helpful hints on Toyota repair so don't beat yourself up over the Monroe Struts. I laid low on this thread but always felt using OEM struts was the best way to go. Keep up with your good work on the forum

redgtxdi
12-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Oh ya, muchos kudos to Mike!! He's helped a ton over at TN too.

This is totally just a Monroe problem. And I'll even go so far as to say that maybe it's only in this family of Quickstrut. Maybe if I had a Ford Taurus, there's no potential for this problem at all??? I don't know. But I *do* know that Gen 4 Camry = potential for problems simply based on the mounts/isolators that they use.

I'm still debating on whether to change out the P/R. (99% ok, except for the rare rattle). I'm officially over the 30 day mark, but looking at the receipt, it doesn't say anything about 30 days 'cuz Monroe has a limited lifetime warranty on 'em. (I think the *limited* part is only to the original purchaser/owner)

Mike Gerber
12-29-2007, 01:45 AM
I would have responded to this thread sooner, but the wife and I just got back form a short vacation. Thanks to all for the vote of confidence. The Quick Struts I installed on the rear of my 98 lasted 6 weeks. At that point the car was totaled, so I really didn't have any long term experience with them. They were great for those 6 weeks though; car rode a lot firmer and was as quiet as can be. I really think that Monroe just had a bad batch from a particular manufacturing period and thats what Pep Boys had in their warehouse, so that's what redgtxdi repeatedly was getting and installing.

It would be interesting to see if there are any other forum members who have had any better (or worse) results long term with the Quick Struts, so if there are any of you out, there please chime in.

Mike

xfeejayx
12-29-2007, 12:22 PM
They were great for those 6 weeks though; car rode a lot firmer and was as quiet as can be. I really think that Monroe just had a bad batch from a particular manufacturing period and thats what Pep Boys had in their warehouse, so that's what redgtxdi repeatedly was getting and installing.

It would be interesting to see if there are any other forum members who have had any better (or worse) results long term with the Quick Struts, so if there are any of you out, there please chime in.

Mike

apparently i got part of that batch also for the rear. firmer and quiet for the first 6 months, now got the rattle on the passenger side.

redgtxdi
12-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Definitely contact Monroe!!!!!!!!!

I will probably be changing out my P/R tomorrow (part # 171680). This will officially be the EIGHTH Quickstrut I've done.......E-I-G-H-T-H!! (Did I just say that??)
:eek:
While Monroe's explanation of "assembly issues" in the fronts, but not the rears seems to satisfy their knowledge base, it doesn't mine. I *definitely* have a "rattler" in the P/R. It is less severe than in my first one (D/F) and the 3rd one (P/F) but it does it just enough to keep reminding me it's there and that's enough for me to consider it a problem. I didn't pay for "eh, just ignore it", I paid for "ahhh, that's quiet!".

I have a sneaking suspicion that (based on my investigation of date codes) that this is probably related to the "assembly" (verb) of the strut and not the "parts" themselves, though I can't rule it out.......BECAUSE my P/R has a date code of '04 and I doubt Monroe would get bad batches of parts spanning 2 years.

I have a feeling that if I had Toyota's "SST" tool (specifically the one that holds the upper spring seat still while you tighten the nut) that I could probably have made all of these struts shutup......BUT......My next concern would be how often I'd have to "tighten" the assemblies before things got too tight & ruined??

*IF* I'm correct, then I'd love to know which part is loosening enough (or loose enough at the start) to cause such a "rattle". My best guess is that it's between the upper spring seat and the mount itself. (Monroe probably got more "front" complaints due to the added bearing, but obviously the rears are not immune).

xfeejayx
12-30-2007, 01:41 AM
now i'm a little PO'd. I want to switch the fronts out, but it seems like a waste of money to do so with Qstruts, and to buy just struts and mounts would cost about as much as the QS. Damn monroe for introducing me to a cost effective 'equal quality' replacement, then snatching it away.

Brian R.
12-30-2007, 03:39 AM
I've had great luck with Koni on my other cars

redgtxdi
12-30-2007, 12:56 PM
I think the ideal setup would look like this...........

KYB GR2's (for a close to oem feel)
Toyota mounts (again, I've heard enough about KYB mount problems that I'd stay away and just fork the dough over to Toyota...even though oem is supposedly KYB?? Go figure!)
Toyota jounces (revised)
Toyota spring isolators (both top and bottom seem to overhang a little more than others and I like that! It's only stamped rubber....excess is good here!)

I'm also gonna throw in a nod for Toyota dust boots. (Rears looked similar to Monroe, HOWEVER.....Toyota does an incredibly thorough job up front as you can't even SEE the shaft w/ Toyotas. Monroe's show quite a bit of shaft and the jounce is always exposed.)

Only thing left is springs.........and while my originals were sagging a bit, I suppose I'd have either re-used them.......or probably forked over the $$ to Toyota for oem springs too. (I'm not the lowering type so no fancy purple lowering springs for me) :grinno:

xfeejayx
12-30-2007, 10:12 PM
yea, but all that probably costs a total of about $500 a pair (i'm guessing), compared to the $335 I paid for QS. oh well, so be it I guess.

redgtxdi
12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
yea, but all that probably costs a total of about $500 a pair (i'm guessing), compared to the $335 I paid for QS. oh well, so be it I guess.

Yep, you're probably right. That's the catch 22!

Now, the alternative would be to maybe just do struts & mounts & reuse rubbers, springs, jounces. That'd probably pull you a little closer.

Quick ebay browsing turned up......

KYB GR2's.....$250/pr shipped.
mounts.......$100/pr. (Dunno the brand, but let's say you could do the same w/ a coupon at your nearest stealership)

Problem is that I know *my* dust boots were toast, so I probably wouldn't reuse those. And it'd definitely make me gnash my teeth to reuse the bottom spring isolator rubbers.

So, let's say another $50 for boots & bottom rubber. That'd put you around $400 vs. $335 for quick struts??

redgtxdi
12-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Welp.......it's done!

8th Quickstrut!! This particular one had an '05 date code and visually looked as good as any so I slapped 'er in. (Only notable difference was that the bottom of the spring had a rubber "sleeve" for the first few coils, unlike the '04 date code and similar to my D/R which is also an '05 date code. I don't believe this to have anything to do w/ the rattle, however, as the rears are different than the fronts *and* the rattles are isolated in the top of the strut assemblies)

Got started late yesterday so juuust managed to get it in around dusk. Test drive last night was perfect. If all 4 corners start rattling tomorrow, I can say that I at least had one good drive w/ total strut silence! http://forums.anandtech.com/i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I don't know what else to say. I'd like to know EXACTLY where the rattle comes from, but since I'm not takin' these suckers apart, nor receiving a paycheck from Monroe to reverse engineer these things, I can only speculate that it's between the upper spring seat and the mount........but again.....that's only my best guess assuming that all the rubbers are doing their job.

Wednesday when I get back to work, I'll be dropping it off at the local Big O. If they're gracious enough to recheck alignment for me, I'll probably leave things be. If they're a little peeved that *they* have to recheck/redo my alignment because of Monroe (for whom they're a rep anyway), then I'll discuss getting w/ Monroe to have Monroe pay for another alignment.

And if these suckers ever rattle again (50/50 chance), I'll have Monroe do a *COMPLETE* redo at the auto shop of their choice, but this last 8th strut......will be my last. I am simply exhausted from changing struts. http://forums.anandtech.com/i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif :banghead:

Mike Gerber
12-31-2007, 05:18 PM
I'll keep my fingers crossed that your ordeal is finally over.

Mike

redgtxdi
01-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Red,

Without units to evaluate it would be speculation. The most likely causes
would be improperly installed upper rod nut or improper seating of the
upper strut bearing.

Sincerely,
J - Monroe Team Member

Hmmmm................well, I think that so long as the center nut is threaded on at all I'd be surprised to find one "improperly installed". That leaves the improper seating of the strut bearing which takes me back to the idea that there's a "PARTS QUALITY" issue.

Well made parts and their mating bearings simply don't "improperly seat". (think FAG/SKF/TIMKEN quality) I have a feeling these mounts and their included bearings.......(who knows what brand Monroe's using as I'm about 99% sure they're NOT manufacturing them themselves, thus no quality control)............are simply a crapshoot.

I also don't buy into the "speculation" idea. This particular sound is so unique it can only be one thing. If I just happened to get 4 bad Quickstruts out of 3 bad year's worth of different date codes, then I'm George Clooney! :cool: I'll bet if I talked to the right person at Monroe, they'd know EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about!!!

On a positive note..........a full week of driving has produced nothing but silence!! (Yippeee!!!) This is about the time I get rear ended & the car is totaled, right?? :bananadie

xfeejayx
01-08-2008, 11:01 PM
that would suck. Something similar happened to Mike.

BTW, someone in another thread about the same issue mentioned that they simply tightened the center nut to 60 ftlbs and it solved there problem. I thought, sure, why not try it. Saturday morning I loosened all the nuts on the top of the front right, center and mounting nuts. Torqued (read 'cranked to feel' due to lack of torque wrench) everything back down.

I was pretty surprised, but it was completely quiet for the next couple days, about 120 miles worth. Its slowly coming back now, but at least till monday afternoon it was gone, just long enough for me to get my sanity back.

So it's definately a top end problem. I think I'm going to agree with the bearing/mount mating theory here. Want to see if Monroe will pay us for the diagnosis?

Mike Gerber
01-09-2008, 06:06 PM
"On a positive note..........a full week of driving has produced nothing but silence!! (Yippeee!!!) This is about the time I get rear ended & the car is totaled, right?? "

Not yet. That took 6 weeks in my case.

Mike

redgtxdi
01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Ya...........I'm sure Monroe has the checks in the mail. :spit: (Hopefully folks at Monroe are reading some of these forum posts).

Anyway............................Check out what I found today (can't believe I hadn't seen it before). Some very interesting comments. Some KYB bashing (bashing GR2's??) And definitely some Monroe bashing. And Gabriel praising.........(I've always thought Gabriel was cheap stuff).

Check it out.........(last 2 posts especially)..... http://jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=7090762

dougs2002
09-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, let's jump to 12/22/07...........things *MIGHT* be solved. (I reserve judgment in lieu of a solid month of quiet, first)

I have now installed QUICKSTRUT #7 (3rd passenger/front) in the QuickStrut fiasco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went back to my local Pep Boys & had them thoroughly look thru the "date code" #'s. My local one had the same date stamps on 2 other of the same part # (171678 right / front).

Sooooooooo........we went to work on the phone & started calling other PepBoys. Finally found one that had a couple in stock that were a different date code. (06226 was bad, these were 06205).

First thing I noticed is that Monroe's Quick Strut is definitely NOT well insulated compared to Toyota OEM. I took the old OEM strut assembly & gave it a good pounding. Couldn't get it to rattle from ANY point no matter what I tried.

Then I took the Monroe Quick Strut & sure enough.......banging my first against the spring will cause the thing to rattle most notably!! At this point I feared the worst. Fed up.....I installed it anyway. I spent a good 5 minutes making sure that the strut was sitting in its bolt/stud holes as most liberally as possible to ensure the most friendly position possible. (Probably doesn't make a difference once all the bolts are torqued, but hey, I tried).

Took it for a test drive & guess what..........SILENT!!! No clunks......no squeaks.......no rattles. I gave it the dummy-dot test &.....nuttin'!!! I took it over some speed bumps........nuttin'. Took it on some s-curves over dummy-dots......nuttin'. COULD THIS TRULY BE THE LAST QUICK STRUT I INSTALL???

Time will tell......but in the meantime.......I ***HIGHLY*** recommend going w/ OEM components. Use whatever strut you want........but DEFINITELY use oem mounts, bearings, stoppers & rubber isolators......PERIOD!!!

(enter exhausted smiley here) P.S. Monroe NEVER returned my e-mail for help! :nono:

Hello,

After the months that have passed have you had any problems. I would like to install the quick strut because I am not a motorhead but can use a wrench and I dont want to pay the $1,600 to take it to a shop. Not only are my struts worn out but the front end makes some horendous rattling noise. It seems especially bad when the weather gets cold. I figured replacing the whole thing would also be a better bet that the rattling would be fixed.

Since you are a pro at installing them after 7 struts is it something that is fairly easy?

Would you still recommend against them?

Thanks

Doug S.

dougs2002
09-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Hello,

Since it has been a number of months since you replaced the quick strut have you had any additonal problems? I am considering the quick strut beacuse my car makes horendous front end rattling noises. I am hopeful that replacing the whole unit will correct it plus I do not want to spend the $1,600 to take it to a shop.

Since youu are a pro at it after installing 7 struts is it a pretty easy install?

Would you recommend it now after additional time has passed?

Thanks

Doug S.

redgtxdi
09-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Oh ya.......update time.......:biggrin: Apparently this forum didn't get updated but I actually ended up replacing EIGHT (yes, that's 8, ocho, octo, acht, ache....E-I-G-H-T!!!!!!!!!)

The passenger rear ended up acting up again and that made a total of eight replaced shortly after my last post here.
Actually, I've just thrown away the boxes this week......(nervous much??) :lol2:

As for the Quickstruts..........yes, they're still on the car and still doing well. They are definitely a bit firmer than oem and I'd say are definitely good.....***IF*** you get good ones from the start!!!

I don't honestly know that I'd do that all over again, but I maintain that it's a great idea and Monroe probably just needs to thoroughly investigate the situation I explained (despite the fact that they basically told me they don't have the time and consider me in the minority):loser:

As for installation........it's not that hard. However, if you'd rather not mess with it (after my fiasco I wouldn't blame you) I'd suggest you could pay a shop to do the swap for you. Monroe constantly has rebates/deals/etc. on their stuff and you could come acrossed them cheaply enough to justify being WELL under $1,600 even after paying a shop to install them for you.

Mike Gerber
09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
I recommended the Quick Sturts to a neighbor a few moths ago for the rear of his 01 Camry. He let Pep Boys do the work. He's definitely not a DIY'r. It was a lot cheaper than $1600 and his rear struts are now doing fine. You might want to give Pep Boys a call and get a quote from them, if you have them in your area.

Mike

alihan1988
09-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I was very lucky with Koni on my other cars

EA6BMECH
10-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Good post. I put the better Monroe's in the front and the regulars in the rear. I have a compressor, so I did just the strut. No knocking, but some how it just doesn't seem to be a quite as it use to be.

davemac2
10-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Good post. I put the better Monroe's in the front and the regulars in the rear. I have a compressor, so I did just the strut. No knocking, but some how it just doesn't seem to be a quite as it use to be.

Based on my experience, the ride is never quite the same unless you use oem replacements for everything. I hate doing struts now. I've always had issues with crappy quality on struts or mounts. I will never again buy struts on Ebay. I think a lot of that stuff is defective stock. I always end up doing them twice before they are noise free.

dave mc

AParker
04-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Years ago, I had Monroe Sensatracs installed on the front of my car...one was defective (new), had no pressure. Re-did the job myself and threw the Monroe's away. Just decided to try the Quick-struts.
This time, both units are defective. Terrible screaching noise every time the steering wheel is turned. Just replaced both of then with the OEM springs, new strut bearings and Gabriel Ultra struts, and have no problems.

I've only spent about 5 hours of hard labor on this past incident because of Monroe's poor quality. To make matters worse, the parts were purchased online and the seller is not responding to requests to return the defective units. In my opinion, Monroe has terrible quality control and I'll never make the mistake of buying from them again.

EA6BMECH
04-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Well since last summer, I've lived with some clanging and a squeek. Well the other day checking on the brakes, dopy me left off on side of the torsion bar link that connects to the strut. Felt like a jerk. Put it on and all the noise went away and it flet tighter on the road. Oh well.......sheet happens.....haha!!

Add your comment to this topic!