Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

94 Intrepid 3.5 Major Oil Leak From the Front!

doug2060
12-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I have a 1994 Intrepid. I came out of a store and noticed a huge puddle under my car. It is coming from the front of the engine but because of it being everywhere I cant tell right off. It looks to be coming from the timing belt cover (perhaps). What are the major oil leaks typically for this car. I had noticed a few drops here and there but it suddenly cut loose!

JColstion
12-04-2007, 07:08 PM
If I recall correctly, It could be one or all of 3 seals in there. You have 2 front cam seals and 1 front crank seal. You need to get that fixed asap as it will cause your timing belt to go out faster. Depending on the mileage, it's likely time to replace the timing belt anyway. A shop will charge you an arm and a leg for the fix, even though it's a pretty easy project. Should only take about 3 hours max.

doug2060
12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
Are there any guides available online? Will I have to remove pulleys crank, cam, etc?

JColstion
12-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I don't know about on-line guide sorry. An it's been to long since I worked on one to remember much about them. An now that I think about it, I believe the 94 may still have had timing chains. Don't think they went to belt untill 95.
I'm not gonna be much help on this one.

doug2060
12-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Just to be clear my Intrepid has a 3.5 from a 94 LHS, I am assuming there is no difference between the two. Does the 94 LHS engine have a belt or chain? Just asking before I go out to check. If it has a chain should I just put a new seal on the cover if thats where the oil is coming from?

wafrederick
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
All 3.5 have timing belts and I have not seen one with a timing chain.You do have to have the special 3 jaw puller to get the crank pulley off.There are no bolt holes for use of a Harmonic balancer puller

doug2060
12-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up! Any further advice is much appreciated.

doug2060
12-05-2007, 10:12 PM
OK, The leak is coming from the bottom of the timing cover and appears to be coming from the crank shaft. I will continue to check the internet for further info but I will most likely leave this job for a professional. I just hope it doesn't cost me too much.

doug2060
12-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow! What a mess this was. With a little help this issue is finally over. I replaced the crank seal and a cam seal. A new timing belt and even a new timing tensioner because the bolt broke off of it. When I went to take the cam pulley bolt out it was kinda scary. I thought it was going to break off in it and thought it was stripped, but the thing is long as hell and must have had factory loc-tite of some kind on it. Thanks for the help!

Add your comment to this topic!