Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Headlights?

jman1150
12-02-2007, 12:53 PM
My 98 Mountaineers headlights will not work. the marker lights come on but no headlights unless you pull back the indicator on the steering columb to flash the lights. is it possible it's a bad switch?

shorod
12-02-2007, 09:41 PM
It is possible that it's a bad switch. It's also possible that both of your low beam bulbs are out. Maybe one has been out for awhile, but since there was some light up front, you didn't notice until the second bulb went out as well.

Also, the high beam filament (used for the flash to pass that you say works) uses a different fuse from the low beams. The high beams use fuse 33, a 15-amp fuse in the instrument panel fuse panel. The low beams use two fuses, 4 and 9, both 10-amp fuses in the same panel.

-Rod

jman1150
12-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks Shorod, I checked that and found that the bulbs were good, went down and bought the repair book to get a wiring schematic of the headlight circuit. I found that the power runs to the fuse box, then up to the turn/lights indicator on the steering columb and back to the fuse box, then out to the lights. I found that no power was passing thru the indicator on the steering columb.
I am posting this as help to anyone else who may have the problem. simple, easy, and not very expensive to repair. It cost me 16.99 for the manual and 64.00 for the turn indicator on the steering columb.

TeamExploder
12-08-2007, 07:40 PM
It's good when ya keep folks updated because it could help someone today or tomorrow with the same prob. :) Did you get a Haynes or Chilton manual?

jman1150
12-09-2007, 08:44 AM
I picked up a haynes manual.

Add your comment to this topic!