Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I have an engine code 224 coil circuit failure on 94 Ranger ,how to fix?

b16Civic
12-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Hello, I just did a scan on my 1994 ford ranger 4 cyl, and it turns out I have a code 224 coil 1,2,3 or 4 circuit failure.I dont know much else so whats wrong with it and how do i fix it? please help

BrianM2007
12-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I have exactly same problem with my Ranger 2.3L 1994, same failure code, same description, I replace the two coil packs and the problem persist, so if you have some news about it let me know too. somebody says I need to check wires comes from the ICM (ignition control module) I didn't yet, also other say could be the ICM even the PCM, I'm not sure with this, any help will be great.

TeamExploder
12-08-2007, 07:29 PM
May need to replace the ignition

b16Civic
12-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Well i actually replaced the coil packs,the air sensor,the code valve,wires and plugs and still nothing,the problem persists and i need to pass smog

Skippy_2001
01-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Has anyone found a fix for this problem yet I am also getting the same code of 224 and have done a tuneup with new plugs and wires, replaced both coils and still no luck. Will be trying a new ICM tonight to see if this is the problem.. Truck runs great and have great spark coming from both coils. But the check engine light is still coming on and the same code keeps showing up on my NGS ,,, soo not really sure what to try next other than an ICM..
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Skippy

DonSor
01-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Is the 224 an OBD-II code. All of the code numbers in my OBD-II Manual start with a letter followed by four digits.

Skippy_2001
01-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Is the 224 an OBD-II code. All of the code numbers in my OBD-II Manual start with a letter followed by four digits.

This would be an Ecc IV trouble code. before the OBD II system which i think, they started using on the 95 rangers.
I have an old 94 Ranger that is an Ecc IV system.

Made a little progress last night i hung a test ICM on the vehicle and grounded it and it seam to fix the check engine light, So i have maybe narrowed it down to ether the ICM or a corroded wire in that vicinity. I did not fully install the module, do to heavy corrosion found on the mounting bolts. Will be doing the full module replacement next week and will inspect the wires and terminal connections at that time to see if any wires are corroded or broken.. Will keep you all updated on what i find..

Thanks

Skip

Add your comment to this topic!