Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 S-10 Driveshaft removal problem

copierkat
12-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I am trying to remove the driveshaft on my 97 S-10 2.2L 2 wheel drive. I have removed the 4 bolts on the drive shaft u-joint at the rear pinion, but I cannot get the u-joint free from the rear end. I have been prying but it won't budge. Even used tons of rust removal spray. I know you are not supposed to pound on it with a hammer due to plastic clips in it? I am stuck on how to get it off. Any ideas? :banghead:

DelCoch
12-01-2007, 06:09 PM
If you're going to replace the u-joints you can pound on the driveshaft yoke, otherwise not. You should be able to get a pry bar in there to pry against the driveshaft yoke, just use caution if not replacing the u-joint. Spray it down with a good penetrating oil from your local parts store and let it sit overnight. W-D 40 and the like won't do much.

Also, be sure to mark the relationship of the driveshaft-to-pinion flange and the slip yoke-to-front transmission housing, as necessary. ALL shaft components which are being removed should be installed in their original positions, this includes slip yokes and U-joints ears.

brutis5
12-01-2007, 08:05 PM
also try jacking up the rear end , dont let it hang down on the shocks. my be drive shaft is just a little long and ran out of play into tranny.

DelCoch
12-02-2007, 03:31 AM
also try jacking up the rear end , dont let it hang down on the shocks. my be drive shaft is just a little long and ran out of play into tranny.
Uhhh, I think you have a contradiction of terms here. Letting the rear end hang on the shocks will pull the drive shaft out from the transmission, not push it in. But, you do have a good point. If the rear end is jacked up, (not hanging on the shocks) it could cause a driveshaft that is too long to be jammed into the transmission to where it doesn’t have anymore space to move forward. This shouldn’t be the case if everything is stock, but one never knows.

Add your comment to this topic!