Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Dodge Ram 1500- will not start

picklemogg
11-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Hi- Any help would be awesome. 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.9L.

Truck would not start this morning. Jumped battery and could start truck after charging for about 5 minutes. After starting, gauages look fine and things seemed ok. The first time it started I left it idle for about 15 minutes. Once I shifted into drive, the truck stalled. After stalling, I tried to start again and it was completely dead. Dashboard lights wouldn't even turn on. I jumped the battery a second time and after about 5 minutes was able to start again. Left idle for about 15 minutes. This time I was able to shift into drive and drove around for about 5 minutes. Shut truck off and tried to restart. Once again completely dead. I measured voltage on battery when not started and it shows about 12.2V so I believe battery is good. I forgot to mention I replaced battery last year. Could I have a bad alternator possibly or voltage regulator? Thanks all.

90sabre
11-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi- Any help would be awesome. 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 5.9L.

Truck would not start this morning. Jumped battery and could start truck after charging for about 5 minutes. After starting, gauages look fine and things seemed ok. The first time it started I left it idle for about 15 minutes. Once I shifted into drive, the truck stalled. After stalling, I tried to start again and it was completely dead. Dashboard lights wouldn't even turn on. I jumped the battery a second time and after about 5 minutes was able to start again. Left idle for about 15 minutes. This time I was able to shift into drive and drove around for about 5 minutes. Shut truck off and tried to restart. Once again completely dead. I measured voltage on battery when not started and it shows about 12.2V so I believe battery is good. I forgot to mention I replaced battery last year. Could I have a bad alternator possibly or voltage regulator? Thanks all.

I know this sounds stupid but I had a similar problem a while back and it turned out to be my battery posts and connectors. I cleaned them both and made sure all connections were secure, it has been fine since. There may be more to it, but they say always try the simple stuff.
Good Luck!

Leo

Add your comment to this topic!