2001 silverado exhaust

rharr
12-06-2002, 11:41 AM
I have a 2001 silverado with a single in dual out 40 series flowmaster. It just doesnt have enough sound for me. I want my truck to be the baddest sounding truck around here. what setup can i look into to make that happen??

BigB00
07-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Depending on what size engine you have (for torqe purposes) or if you want it legal or not, I would go with a Cherry Bomb/Glass Pack (NOT street legal). If you really want it loud... just straight pipe it. Either way... the loudest options are usually illegal. I have the Gibson duel catback system and I don't think it's loud enough. But then again, it's probably because I only have a 6cyl. I wanted to straight pipe it, but I heard I wouldn't have enough torqe.

onehate02
09-22-2004, 11:13 PM
what does it mean when you get straight pipes? like no muffler?

killerkatana75
09-22-2004, 11:21 PM
yeah straight pipes means no muffler, i have an 03 and i had flowmaster on it ( to quiet) straight pipes ( to loud ) and glass packs ( same loudness as flowmaster) to keep the torque the same and still get sound, what i usually do to trucks is go with a forza flow ( kinda like flowmaster only cheaper) and run smaller pipe such as 2 inch instead of 2 1/4 or 2 1/2. I work at a meineke muffler shop so i do this stuff all day, i have had every kinda exhaust on my truck you can think of, yes even the chrome mufflers the little rice burners run, but what i have now is proven to be the best set up, i saw your from cali so you might not get away with the same stuff we do here in redneck country ( indiana)

sc_customs
09-23-2004, 09:36 AM
if you have a 40 series you might wanna try a single chamber flowmaster. those are nice and loud :iceslolan

the muffler itself is only about a foot in length, tiny lil thing

jeverett
09-23-2004, 09:42 AM
I've heard the single chamber on a Bronco once before. It was pretty loud. I think there is a forum member that has a single chamber on his truck. Maybe he'll post about how it sounds.

rustcal
09-23-2004, 05:57 PM
I have a question killerkatana75 or anybody else. I have a 00 rado with 5.3 xcab shortbox, I want to put rear split dual exhaust on it. What exhaust system will give me the best sound out the pipe with the least amount or interior noise. One muffler shop said flow master 40 orig with a resonator, but another shop said the resonator will kill performance and also hurt the exterior noise. Is this true? I like the quite ride but want a better sound and don't want to hurt the performance. Any ideas?

killerkatana75
09-23-2004, 09:14 PM
A resonator is basically 2 things a secondary muffler, and a glass pack, it will hinder your noise so i would not have one put on, if you want to spend some go with a flowmaster 40 series ( single in dual out 2inch )or go with duals with a glasspack on each pipe, i had this but it wasnt loud enough for me...as far as performance goes if you run straight pipes you loose your back pressure which kills your low end, but if you went with a flowmaster and a resonator it might be to much back pressure, if i had the money , which i dont LOL, i would have dual flowmasters on mine, hell if meineke stocked flowmasters i would to, but we only stock forza flow, but they sound good to, its hard to say about exhaust , every truck i have done sounds different, hell the dodges sound alot better than a chevy with a flowmaster,oh and if you want some cool sound, instead of running your pipes straight out the back, have them bend them out right behind the back tires, it will echo off of everything you pass...

Silverado Brethern
09-23-2004, 09:39 PM
ok so i know straight pipe kills the low end torque..i have true dual flowmaster 40s and its pretty loud but im thinkin if i take the converters off it would be reallllll loud. BUT i would never sacrifice power for sound, would taking the converters off leave me with too little back pressure and therefore less power? and also what about the down stream OBD II sensors?

killerkatana75
09-23-2004, 09:42 PM
yeah it would be louder, but you would be throwing all kinds of codes from the oxy sensor and your check engine light would be on, and you torque would be like womanizing micheal jackson,,,,, NON existant

Nigel215
09-24-2004, 01:02 PM
I have a gibson dual exhaust. Their is very little sound in the cab compared to flowmasters. But their is still a nice tone at the pipe. Also got some added performance from it. If yoy add a cold air intake to any exhaust system u will get a louder sound.

BL54
09-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Looks good and sounds real good. There is no mistaking these things. Its a different look but why be like everyone else? 2 -6" flat outlets in front of the right rear tire, pretty tough . Just my opinion

chevy393
09-26-2008, 06:07 AM
i have a 2000 1500 z71 with the 5.3l and when i got it i didnt have much moiney s owhat i did was just took a sawz all to my muffler and cut it off and ran piping were i cut it off at and put it infront of the right rear tire and put a tip on it, it sounds good ( kinda like a racetruck more then a real deep tone but sounds good) and is unique in look and cost only $20 for the piping and tip, and its not TOO loud but its louder then my friends with a flowmaster, just dosnt have a loud idle

rmh2342
04-01-2010, 05:21 PM
jus out of curiosity..how are some ways to increase the sound while idleing..i have a chevy silverado '04 with no cats n a 10 series flo master 1 in two out...and its WWAAYYY loud lol..but the idle isnt where i want it to be n wondering if anyone knew some ways to increase it

cramer_77
04-02-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm running dual 3 inch flowmaster outlaw mufflers with stock manifolds and stock cats and it 90's out behind the rear wheels. This thing sounds nasty(in a good way) just putting around they aren't much louder than a 40 series flowmaster but when you put your foot in it, this thing speaks. it has the straight pipe crackle to it, but it has the deep tone of a regular flow. I recommend flowmaster to anybody. Interior noise ain't that bad either, i mean its loud but it won't give you a headache. I took it on a 4 hour trip to northern indiana and my a** went numb before i got tired of the exhaust.

kenny-1907
04-02-2010, 01:13 PM
When I had my Silverado (4.8) I got a true dual system done on it. Basically they cut it right at the "Y" pipe and continued it straight out the back from there with 2 Flo pro twister race series mufflers and 4" slash cut stainless tips. I also eventually had a set of ceramic coated stainless shorty JBA headers installed because of popping manifold bolts, and it was fairly loud but nice sounding.

I now have an 07 Avalanche with the 5.3. I took it to the same place that I had install the headers on my Silverado and told them that I only wanted a single in, dual out muffler (did not want to lose bottom end torque as I did with my Silverado's exhaust system) with 4" slash cut stainless tips angled out instead of straight,but I wanted it to be louder than my Silverado was but not shitty sounding. They used a Flo pro VForce muffler and I'll tell you, around here there is not a louder Avalanche or Silverado and it sounds nice. I was driving around in traffic the other day with my window the first time this year and last year because right after I got it done the weather turned real hot, and I was quite surprised at how loud it really is but as I said, it sounds nice too.

Add your comment to this topic!