Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can I fix a bent aluminum alloy rim??

grndslm
11-29-2007, 01:38 AM
So, I hit this huge pothole and didn't think anything of it. I've had these 17" low pros for a while and haven't bent 'em like this before to make it outta round like this. It totally throws my tire and even my whole care off balance.

I'm prolly gonna get a new set of 15" rims anyway, but I'm curious if you guys think I could hammer it back the other way if I took the tire off and used a rubber mallet?? And if possible, would it matter if I were doing this in colder or warmer weather? I know it shouldn't be hot or cold. I think it's hot... so cold weather would be good for me, right?

curtis73
11-29-2007, 02:07 AM
You'll never move it with a rubber mallet. I had one that was bent enough that it leaked air, so I used a piece of lead as a drift and whacked on it with a 5 lb sledge. It was ugly but I got it back to where it didn't leak.

There are companies that fix wheels, but you have to LOVE the wheels. Its usually much cheaper to just buy a new wheel. I got a quote to fix a 17" wheel for $1200, but new ones were $200. I could have bought a complete set of five (one for the spare) and still have been ahead.

UncleBob
11-29-2007, 03:12 AM
eh, it shouldn't be that expensive for most rim repairs. Shop around of course. The *mobile* service we contract often, with painting is usually under $400 per rim if its really messed up. A less fancy place would be less cash of course, but it really depends on the rim and how badly its messed up

The simple answer is, get better rims with less-low-profile tires and you won't have that problem

2.2 Straight six
12-02-2007, 03:22 PM
we straighten wheels at work with two blocks of wood and a bottle jack.

we're waiting for a wheel straightening machine to arrive too.

it can be done, it's cheap and easy when you know how. but few people will give up how you do it.

Steel
12-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Most of the time when i see people trying to bend Al wheels back, they just end up cracking them.

Add your comment to this topic!