1999 Toyota Camry Dashboard Time Clock?

sauto2007
11-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Hello Experts,

I've 1999 Toyota Camry and in last few month the Digital Time Clock on the dashboard on the side meter panel, stopped working completely. Initially it would get dim but on knocking with finger, it would come back but now it is completely off.

Question:
1) If there is any exclusive battery for the digital time clock that has drained off and it needs to be replaced or some thing else?
2) If there is a exclusive battery for clock, where and how it can be replaced?
3) Or else if there is any fuse for the clock that has burnt our, where should I should look for?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments.

-sauto

Mike Gerber
11-27-2007, 05:43 PM
1. No, the clock runs off the car's battery.
3. It should be fuse number 14 in the engine comparment fuse box. That is a 7.5 amp fuse, which also controls your power door locks, the dome light and the lights for the vanity mirrors ,among other things. If those things are working, the fuse is fine. It is most likely the clock unit itself from your description of the clock previously going dim and restoring full brightness by taping it. The clock will be a Toyota dealer only item, or possibly a salvage yard part.

Mike

sauto2007
11-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Appreciate your response Mike. Thanks.

Second question related to it.

How difficult/easy it will be replace the clock? Will it require to open dashboard if yes, is it fairly easy or very complicated for an average technical guy to fix it.

Thanks.

- sauto

Mike Gerber
11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
It should be fairly easy. I remember you have to remove the black trim piece around the speedometer and tach area. To do that, there are 2 phillips screws facing upward near the transparent piece of plastic, in front of the speedometer, that have to be removed first. Then pry outward at the outside of what I call the wings of the black trim piece. There is a clip on each wing at the outside edge. That will expose the clock. I never had to take the clock out of my car, so you will have to figure out how the clock comes out from there, but it should be pretty obvious. Having the new (or used) one in hand should help you figure it out.

Good luck.

Mike

sauto2007
11-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I'll give it a try.

Thanks Mike.

-sauto

Add your comment to this topic!