Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

loss of power...?

andrew_j
11-26-2007, 08:36 PM
I was reading on a jeep zj forum, and one guy was taling about losing low end grunt with his clod air intake. I am experiencning power loss on my passport. It's actually a dog. 0-60 is like a marathon. Other than a stereo and the intake its bone stock. Could my intake be the problem?

Please help, I miss my relatively quick passport.

Ramblin Fever
11-27-2007, 12:53 AM
Could also be due for a major tune-up; fuel/air filters, new spark plugs, O2 sensors, cat convertor could be clogged, etc.

Also, very important to run GOOD quality gas in these trucks, no mom-pop store gas, I have the best luck with Shell, Phillips 66, and lately, I've been getting good mileage with Conoco.

There is a BIG difference, in my honest opinion of having owned my rig for 10yrs and tried all kinds of different gas stations.

I've heard rumors that the change in intake could result in loss of low end power, but I can't verify that myself. I do know the intake system on these 3.2L's IS already set up for good breathing power.

amigo-2k
11-27-2007, 09:08 AM
Make sure your intake is clean (there was a recent post of a squirrel making his home in one), and you may have plugged Cats.

As the previous posted said, start with the normal tune-up type of things first.

andrew_j
11-27-2007, 02:35 PM
i run shell gas all the time cause ive heard that other gas is bad. air filter is clean but im going to check the fuel, o2 sensors and cats. how can i check the cats?

Andie_J
11-27-2007, 02:52 PM
:) Yes, check your air supply even if you think its OK. Im almost possitive it was a little chipmumk, I see him (her) by the Rodeo about every day now. I dont think he likes what i did to his winter home. With the clogged air filter and box, I had no power at all and it felf like I was trying to pull a battleship. Andie:)

andrew_j
11-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Haha my air supply is clear.

andrew_j
11-29-2007, 03:26 PM
How can I check my cats and o2 sensors?

Im thinking something is wrong cause I used to get 130 miles out of 20-25 dollars worth of gas and now I get 80. The acceleration is also very slow. I was trying to accelerate today and I floored it and it just made lots of noise. And I have check engine light on a lot.

Help would be appreciated cause i have to make 200000k miles out of this thing since its got brand new tires now.

FL 3.2L
11-29-2007, 04:15 PM
How does it idle?

offroader98
11-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Check If You're Running All Cylinders. Wires Or Spark Plugs Could Be Loose Or Out. You're Probably Not Sparking. Is There A Maf On The Intake Tube Of A 1996 Passport? Check If That Is Clean.

FL 3.2L
11-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Check If You're Running All Cylinders.

That's what I'm thinking. Does it feel like it's missing? Is it really chugging?

andrew_j
11-29-2007, 09:52 PM
it runs good just slow as anything all the time it takes forever to get it to downshift

FL 3.2L
11-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Auto tranny? Have you done anything with the wiring under the vehicle lately?

trooperbc
11-29-2007, 10:36 PM
...And I have check engine light on a lot. ... hey, comeon...everyone, including you, is searching for a clue, and you got a computer sitting there with the answer(s). get your codes read. buy a scanner. or get them read for free at many bigboxpartsstores. report back here with the results, and let's go from there...the easy way.

(and i'm betting ignition components too, but get the codes!)

....Im thinking something is wrong cause I used to get 130 miles out of 20-25 dollars worth of gas and now I get 80. ... the same thing is happening to me! but nothings wrong with my trooper. it's the price of gas! :eek:

//bc

andrew_j
12-01-2007, 08:42 AM
the code that it is throwing is for the egr valve i had it checked at auto zone.

just a note here..to get it to pass va state inspection it had to have a new muffler and tailpipe so that is being replaced. as soon as i get it off the stands in my garage i will take it back up to autozone and re check the codes to make sure that it is not throwing new ones. but i do know egr valve=cel so far...

FL 3.2L
12-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Clean it out!

trooperbc
12-01-2007, 09:32 PM
yes, clean it! see the FAQ thread at the top of this forum, it's FAQ #1.

and if you didn't, clear the codes now, before running it again, by disconnecting the battery or remove the computer fuse for 30 seconds.

once you get the egr system straightened away...let's see if that takes care of it all.

//bc

andrew_j
12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
okay well it failed the state inspection cause the exhaust was broken in half at the tail pipe so it has a new system on it now. when I get a day off from work and I can drive it on the roads again I will try that. my question about doing that is wont the engine be hard to run while spraying the cleaner down the vaccum line? and where does the trash from it go? I dont know when the o2 sensors have been done if at all how or should I check them? I'm also going to go to autozone and get a fuel filter after work today.

andrew_j
12-05-2007, 03:43 PM
okay well I am going to try to do the egr valve tomorrow

i have another issue that I need to address, the front sway bar bushings. will they make noises when worn?

Add your comment to this topic!