Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing Belt or Not

DonSor
11-26-2007, 09:33 AM
I have a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL which has 90K miles and running pretty good. According to its Maintenenace Requirement, the timing belt is supposed to be replaced at 100K miles under Normal Driving Conditions. As you probably know, replacement of timing belt is expensive. My question is how critical is it to have it replaced? What are the chances of it breaking down and what happens when it breaks while driving? What is the percentage of owners who abide by the requirement when most neglect even the most basic things such as changing filters.

My daughter had a 1985 Nissan 200SX which ran well past 250K miles and its timing belt was never replaced. I understand that during that period if the timing belt breaks in cars equipped that its terminal. However I also heard that in newer model cars, if the belt breaks while driving, the driver has the opportunity to coast to a stop without doing serious damage done to the engine. Is this true?

Donsor

Greenblurr93
11-27-2007, 11:49 AM
If its an interferance motor (Most hondas are) and you break a timing belt, theres a 99% chance the motor is done because the piston will spank the open valves like a red headed step child and do some serious damage... and your daughter has drivin that long and not had a problem because (i believe) she has a timing chain, not a belt, which is a lifetime part.
get it changed... its a lot cheaper to replace a belt than a whole motor

DonSor
11-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Prudence dictates that I should have it changed. While at it, it was recommended that the water pump and the two exterior belts should be changed also. It makes sense.

What do you know about the requirement to adjust the hydraulic valves?

donsor

Greenblurr93
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
dont remember the exact milegae recommended... but its right around when u change a timing belt. and yes, when you change the Tbelt you should change the water pump (its driven by the tbelt) and the other belts you need to take off anyway, so you should change them

DonSor
11-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Any comment on my second question. I know about periodically adjusting solid lifters but hydraulic lifters?

inafogg
11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
hello the 200sx has a chain
the honda tbelt will cause damage if ur mech enclined diy = 100-150.00
valves dont need adj

DonSor
12-23-2007, 01:20 PM
It's going to cost me about $1100.00 to have the timing belt changed in my Acura. That includes the water pump replacement and theexterior belts. That's a lot of money to shell out to meet a routine maintenance requirement. I should surmise to say that potential buyers of autos with intergerance engines should be made aware that at a certain mileage they will have to spend money to replace the timing belt. I can understand the maintenance requiremnts such as changing oil and filter, fuel filter, etc. which have minimal cost but requiring to replace the timing chain is somewhat unreasonable. At least the buyers should be made aware and if they still insist on buying the car, then there will be no surprises. Had I known about this big expense I would have opted out for some other comparable model. do you know of any other car manufacturers which use interfernace type engines? Any US cars? Is there any advantage to use such concept as opposed to the chain timing belts?

Greenblurr93
12-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Do it yourself, with basic tools and a little automotive knowledge you can knock it out in few hours, 90% of that cost is in Labor... so either shop around for a better price, or buy the belts and water pump and do it yourself

Add your comment to this topic!