flasher rate

serge_saati
11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
How can we adjust the signal light blinking speed of a Ford Windstar 98 3.8L?

LeSabre97mint
11-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Hello

No there isn't a way to very the speed of the flashers. The flasher is electronic. Why do you want to change the speed?

Regards

Dan

catvents
11-25-2007, 11:02 PM
How can we adjust the signal light blinking speed of a Ford Windstar 98 3.8L?
If you are asking this question, I suppose your flasher is blinking very quickly.
If this is the case, take a look on your front and rear flasher light to see if one of them is not burnt which will make the flasher unit to operate quicker than normal. Otherwise, as mentionned, no adjustment are possible.

tripletdaddy
11-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Guys? Ok, it can't be adjusted. But they do go bad, and typically one that is on its way out will change the rate it operates or jsut die. The flasher unit is connected to the passenger compartment fuse block. If the flasher used to operate slower than it is now, and there are no other electrical issues, than a new flasher unit will more than likely fix the problem. You did not mention in your post if the "light out" dash light was on at the same time. Honestly, I'm not 100% sure that the electronic signal units now used are influenced by a bulb out or if trailer lights are hooked up. My recollection is that they are not. The old signal stats would run faster with say trailer lights added, conversely, if there were less lights on, like a bulb out, on a parallel wired system, the lights would run slower. I'd try a new signaler if you are certain it ran differently before. Hope it works.

Silverado6x6
11-26-2007, 05:26 AM
I would like to add that many drivers are replacing their lights with LEDs which will change the current load in most new cars and it will either flash fast or give lamp out indications because an LED uses a whole lot less current than a real bulb. To the computer it thinks nothing is there.
I had this problem on my 02 Silverado and I installed load resistors at all four T/S lamps which are all LED now. On older cars with the mechanical flasher a simple replacement to a transistorized one will work.

serge_saati
11-26-2007, 11:49 AM
Hello, thanks for your answers. My flashers are operating perfectly properly like as usual. The problem is when I flash for changing lane, the driver don't let me pass. And I think that if the light flashes quicker, the driver will be more intimidate and he will let me pass. It's just psychological. And I don't want to replace my bulb with LED. If the flasher control unit is digital electronic, like you say, we cannot adjust the flashing speed.

tripletdaddy
11-27-2007, 05:52 AM
You could try faking pulling into their lane while you flash and maybe that will get them to back off and let you in, because they are too scared you will pull into them, but then give them a nice wave for letting you in.
or
put some aftermarket add on signal lights elsewhere on your van, like how some truckers will customize their rigs or even personal vehicles. Ford had added and then discontinued flasher lights on the side mirrors. My brother had that and I hated it, and it was even worse that it did some other annoying light games when you opened a door. BLAH!!!

serge_saati
11-27-2007, 10:16 AM
The idea of faking pulling into their lane is good.

lapin_windstar
11-28-2007, 09:16 AM
The idea of faking pulling into their lane is good.
It's a terrible idea! If there isn't enough space to pull into the lane, then you shouldn't be entering the lane. Swerving into a neighboring lane is just dangerous.

tripletdaddy
11-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Well, I guess the only alternative would be to mash your Winny into high gear passing that inconsiderate road hog and then jerk in front of them (like most people in metro areas) and then pull hard on her reins so not to ram the car in front of you while blinding that selfish dolt into oblivion with your blaring red tail lights.
No?
Just a thought.
I really couldn't help myself.
What did you think of my idea of lighting up your van like a blinking Christmas tree?
It would get the attention of your neighboring obstinate drivers.

Or you drive something with "body language" Anytime my wife and I see a car with a lot of body damage, it says to us that that driver is willing to take bad chances and we always give them lots of room, especially when they look like they want to pass.

I'm now curious to know where are you that the drivers are so inconsiderate?

Some real possibilities are to see if you might get lucky and buy a blinker that runs faster or put in different bulbs that burn brighter.

serge_saati
11-30-2007, 09:06 AM
I found a Website that show how can we change the flasher rate: http://www.instructables.com/id/Automotive-electronic-flasher-rate-modification./

We have to change the value of the resistor in the flasher circuit unit.

No, I don't like the idea of decorate my car like a christmas tree. It's awful.

I'm living in Quebec, Canada. Here, peoples don't care of other when they're driving. They live in their world.

ethanaw
04-04-2009, 07:30 AM
i'm from ohio and i thought canada was supposed to be the mecca of curtness.

and i love the idea of the fake lane change to make the person back off. however, if that vehicle in your way is a '79 chevy truck with the lights across the top, a gun rack, and the sticker of calvin from "calvin and hobbes" pissing on the "ford" emblem, you may want to reconsider.

Freakzilla69
04-04-2009, 01:22 PM
In Atlanta, there are generaly two types of drivers; those that don't use their blinker and those that bought the car with one blinker on and have never turned it off.

All of them think it's a NASCAR race and tailgate at 90mph.

My other car is a '95 Caddy Deville... they let me over when I swerve. In the minivan, not so much.

BUT I do use my blinkers religiously. The Caddy has the feature where the light blinks faster with just a little pressure on the lever for a lane change and slower, with a white light on in the direction of the turn, for a turn when depressed all the way.

I really like that.

serge_saati
04-04-2009, 03:33 PM
In Canada, all peoples are courteous, exept in my province.
But now I become used. I change lane by surpassing them, like an Indy race.

Yes, Cadillac are very luxury, it's good. Do you have also the infrared night vision?

Freakzilla69
04-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Yes, Cadillac are very luxury, it's good. Do you have also the infrared night vision?

No, mine is old, 1995. It's too expensive to maintain, I think it needs new engine bearings. I need to get rid of it. It is a very nice car though.

tripletdaddy
04-17-2009, 04:15 AM
In Atlanta, there are generaly two types of drivers; those that don't use their blinker and those that bought the car with one blinker on and have never turned it off.

All of them think it's a NASCAR race and tailgate at 90mph.

My other car is a '95 Caddy Deville... they let me over when I swerve. In the minivan, not so much.

Very funny!!!:rofl:

i'm from ohio and i thought canada was supposed to be the mecca of curtness.

and i love the idea of the fake lane change to make the person back off. however, if that vehicle in your way is a '79 chevy truck with the lights across the top, a gun rack, and the sticker of calvin from "calvin and hobbes" pissing on the "ford" emblem, you may want to reconsider.

If you mean they are very "curt" in Canada, that would seem right, meaning they are uncivil and snappy, but that doesn't sound like serge_saati, but then again, I haven't met him on the highway!:rofl:

Yeh, you need to watch out for them road hogs. Down here in Virginia, we would have a Rebel Flag on your Ohio redneck pickup. They also have "truck-sicles" down here, the two things that dangle from the hitch....look like balls in a sack....

It had been too dangerous just to be the slightest bit impolite, which too often is only in the warped imagination of the aggresive drivers of the Northern Virginia and DC metro area, where they will either drive you off the road or pull a gun on you. Between that and the crazy traffic and congestion, I refuse to commute to work up there!:screwy:

Add your comment to this topic!