Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Quick Remote Starter Question

dennyge
11-25-2007, 04:55 PM
I just bought my wife a 2005 extended Trailblazer LT and it has more bells and whistles on it than any vehicle we have ever owned. While locking it up the other evening, I must have hit some button combination on the key fob because the TB proceeded to start up and wait for me. Once I got into the vehicle, I was able to put my key in the ignition and turn it to on and away I went. My simple question is, what was the key fob button combination that I used? I can't seem to duplicate it!!

Gene

maxwedge
11-25-2007, 06:57 PM
This is most likely some aftermarket installation, no way to answer this without their specs.

dennyge
11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Max. I was hoping that, since it still has the factory key fobs, that this was factory installed, too.

'97ventureowner
11-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Maybe this will help, if not it was worth a try. I just had my Chevy dealer install a GM factory remote starter in my 2006 Uplander . Chances are if you have the original fobs it is also a factory (or dealer installed GM unit.) To activate mine I have to hit the "LOCK" button on the fob and then within 10 seconds hit the "START" button, and the vehicle should start. I had the dealership install mine because I had seen too many bad aftermarket installations, including one on my '97 Venture. I made sure the next time I had one it was going to b installed by the dealer, so if any issues cropped up I hopefully wouldn't have any problems getting it fixed,(the company that installed the unit in my '97 went bankrupt one month after putting mine in...after 75 years in business) After I bought my Uplander I checked with my dealer's parts dept. They ran my VIN to make sure my vehicle was set up to receive a remote starter. Let us know if that procedure i outlined above works for your situation. Good luck.

dennyge
11-26-2007, 06:33 AM
That sounds similar to what I did by accident the first time, but my key fob does not have a Start button on it. It has Lock, Unlock, and Panic. When it happened the first time, I hit Lock and then hit another button after that but the darn thing just won't do it again!

Talk about pulling your hair out.

dennyge
11-26-2007, 07:10 AM
I think I may have just figured it out, thanks to your suggestion. I hit the Lock button 3 times spaced about 2 seconds apart and it worked.

ponchonutty
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
I think I may have just figured it out, thanks to your suggestion. I hit the Lock button 3 times spaced about 2 seconds apart and it worked.
Yep you got it. I run a business that installs these remote starters for dealerships. The one in the TB isn't factory or a factory add on. It is more likely something like a 551t valet unit http://www.directed.com/guides/manuals/ig/valet/N551T.pdf Of course this and some other remote starters have an activation input that normally just simply runs off the door locks. I bet if you sit in your car and press the lock button 2 or 3 times on the door, it'll start.

If it is indeed a Valet unit, you may be able to get an antenna and remotes so you can get much better range.

'97ventureowner
11-27-2007, 02:06 PM
Yep you got it. I run a business that installs these remote starters for dealerships. The one in the TB isn't factory or a factory add on. It is more likely something like a 551t valet unit
So what you're saying is that whoever had the system installed had the GM factory key fobs programmed to run the remote starter? Or does the key fobs for that aftermarket system resemble GM factory ones? As I stated in my previous post on this discussion, I had a factory system recently installed on my '06 Uplander. While looking to buy one of these vehicles back in 2006, I noticed it was an option from the factory, but didn't see any on the vehicles I looked at. I was told that I might be able to have a factory unit installed after I bought the vehicle if my VIN # was checked to see if it was allowable, (as many Uplander were not.) I did have it checked by the dealer's parts counter and it was okay. After the install I received 2 new factory key fobs that had the extra button to start the van. I also happened to give the service dept my other 2 key fobs that came with the van and they all were programmed together.

maxwedge
11-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Jumping in here just to say, after some research there was no factory installed remote start for 2005 TB's, this must be an AM add on.

ponchonutty
11-27-2007, 08:39 PM
So what you're saying is that whoever had the system installed had the GM factory key fobs programmed to run the remote starter? Or does the key fobs for that aftermarket system resemble GM factory ones? As I stated in my previous post on this discussion, I had a factory system recently installed on my '06 Uplander. While looking to buy one of these vehicles back in 2006, I noticed it was an option from the factory, but didn't see any on the vehicles I looked at. I was told that I might be able to have a factory unit installed after I bought the vehicle if my VIN # was checked to see if it was allowable, (as many Uplander were not.) I did have it checked by the dealer's parts counter and it was okay. After the install I received 2 new factory key fobs that had the extra button to start the van. I also happened to give the service dept my other 2 key fobs that came with the van and they all were programmed together.

Yes and no. The '05 TB is a non-CAN based system. So, to get a remote starter to work in that vehicle is just like a regular aftermarket install. It has to have a hardwired remote starter installed. Also, there's no "programming" into the OE keyless. The add on remote starters have a slave input where if that wire "sees" a series of pulses (can be either + or-) they'll start. Those pulses actually could be ANYTHING but most of the time are set up to be triggered on the doorlocks. Usually it's 3 pulses to get them to start and 3 pulses to shut them off.

Your '06 Uplander is a CANBUS system. So, the vehicles computer is setup to handle remote start. It can be as easy as programming in remote controls. You'd have been a little better off getting new fobs from www.bypasskit.com They've come out with a unit very simular to that as GM's . It's plug and play. The big difference is the cost and the range. I think their unit is rated up to 1500' versus 300'.

Add your comment to this topic!