OBD/Computer Scanner - 2000 Silverado

Seneca_Tiger
11-24-2007, 10:52 PM
I have a 2000 Silverado 2WD w/ the 5.3L V8. My check engine light is staying on when I turn the key to the on position before I hit the starter, even after the other lights (ABS, Air Bag, etc) go out. I have taken it to both Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone to use their free loaner scanner service, and neither can talk to my truck. The scanner comes up as "needs to be connected to the vehicle to read codes" (even though it is, with the ignition on). Has anyone else tried this service and had this problem? Do these vehicles take a different scanner than most others?

My wife drives a 2002 Malibu (3.1L V6), and the Advance/Auto Zone computer scanners won't talk to her car either. It's like the computer isn't there. In fact, I thought the port was bad on her car until my truck wouldn't talk to it either. My best guess is it is a Chevrolet thing.

Am I missing something? Is there something you have to do to the car or truck (besides plug in the computer and turn on the ignition) to get a hand-held scanner to talk to it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

rjeffery
11-25-2007, 12:54 AM
You may need to take it to a dealer and pay them to scan it. Dealers usually have more advanced (& expensive) scanners that scan more compenents (engine, tans, brake ect) that the scanners that the parts stores have.

Evansamms
11-25-2007, 10:14 AM
So is the check engine light on after you start the truck? I've got a 2000 Silverado 4x4, with the 5.3, and my check engine light stays on until i start the vehicle. And for the record, my cheapo code reader (50 bucks off ebay, but I love it, best one i've used) reads my truck fine. And everything else I've tried it on.

Evan

wafrederick
11-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Stay away from anything made by SPX,they do not stand behind their equipment at all and are greedy.My father has a Robinair A/C machine that is a big POS since day one and they would not stand behind it.SPX is also greedy,My grandfather on my father's side worked for SPX ,he died of a heart attack when he was 39 years old just over 40 years ago and my father was 13 years old when this happened.They sent my Grandma On my father's side his 20 year pin which they denied her his retirement money since he worked there for 19 and a half years.She never recieved that money to this day and they took it.

maxwedge
11-25-2007, 12:26 PM
If there is no cel when the truck is running what is the problem? My lite stays on till it starts, the no communication issue is another story, poor connections can cause that or possibly a bad cigar liter fuse.

Add your comment to this topic!