Restoring Rims

LordofSheeps
11-22-2007, 11:36 PM
http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccpix/1374charcoal.JPG

I bought 4 of these for $80. The clear coat has seen better days and oxidization has set in. I have asked around and this seems like the best method.

Aircraft Remover
Blue Magic
Sand Wet 220 grit - 400 - 600
Paint black Area with satin spray paint
Polish or Seal

That look right?

Now what i would like to know is; I live in minnesota with harsh winters and salty roads... I need these to be year round because I only have one set of rubbers. Mounting and balanceing all the time weakens the bead and the tire looses air. So should I seal or polish? Most people said to just polish the rims and maintain them and they will be fine. What do you guys think?

izzydjinn
11-24-2007, 09:27 PM
hey bro. good deal, but if you really like those rims here is an idea......... a buddy of mine is a trucker and at the truck stop he lives by there is a guy (truck tire guy) that cut him a deal, he said that he'll dip them in acid for him for I think 50 or 100 buck, of course if yours are aluminum or magnesium. Anyways, my point is ask around at tire places, mainly mom n pop places, and maybe youll get a deal like that. good luck.

blindeyed
11-24-2007, 11:15 PM
I would just have them sandblasted and then powdercoated whatever color you want.

izzydjinn
11-28-2007, 01:12 AM
I would just have them sandblasted and then powdercoated whatever color you want.
If he's going to do that might as well buy a brand spankin new set of his choice, dont you think because sandblasting AND powder coating is kinda pricey is it not????????? :screwy: :runaround:

blindeyed
11-28-2007, 01:30 AM
If he's going to do that might as well buy a brand spankin new set of his choice, dont you think because sandblasting AND powder coating is kinda pricey is it not????????? :screwy: :runaround:
Sandblasting you can do yourself if you have the right equipment, or if you know someone who does. Obviously powdercoating would be a little pricey, but would be well worth it due to it's great looks and it's ability to withstand harsh elements (ex: the salty roads he mentioned). Like I said, would be well worth it IMO.

Add your comment to this topic!