What Are Cam Gears? and will they help my car

Ravi2937
11-22-2007, 07:52 PM
if i install cam gears on my stock 1.6 si motor will it help and what do they do ?

Schister66
11-22-2007, 09:14 PM
They attach to the cam and allow you to advance/retard your timing...since you have a single cam, you cant really do anything with them. Also, without tuning, you're not going to get anything out of it.

CivicSpoon
11-22-2007, 09:20 PM
The cam gear is the gear attached to the camshaft. The camshaft is was opens and closes your exhaust & intake valves (there are more parts involved internally, but this is a basic explanation). The cam gear is connected to a belt, which connects to your crankshaft (among other things). The belt synchronizes the valve timing (opening & closing of the valves) with the appropriate strokes of the crank (intake stroke, compression stroke, power stroke, & exhaust stroke). Basically it makes the intake valves open up at the intake stroke, the exhaust valves open up at the exhaust stroke, etc. This is a VERY basic explanation of how it works. I would recommend checking out this link and looking at the animated image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_engine
Watch the valves open and close and it's relation to the turns of the crankshaft.

The adjustable cam gears allow you to adjust the valve timing (when the valves open), to make more power. But unless you understand how and why you should adjust the timing, based on specific parts you have and power you're making, you should NEVER touch the timing. There is no exact setting to set the cam gear(s) to, that will work with every engine (1 setting on a B16A is probably not right for another B16A). With a stock engine, Honda already set it to where it makes the most power as well as the best fuel efficiency. Adjustable cam gears are really only for when you have an aftermarket cam(s), or you're going forced induction. Most people buy them simply for looks, and never adjust them or adjust them incorrectly.

Schister66
11-23-2007, 12:27 PM
The OP is in Canada...

Si = D series

Add your comment to this topic!