Page updated on 10-20-2017

Upper Ball Joint Replacement in !965 Cutlass/ Please Help or direct to available help

LoveMy65Cutlass
11-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Has anyone ever bought a front end rebuild kit and has advice on upper ball joints. I had to drill out original because it was rivetted on. The kit I bought calls for a bolt on replacement. It has the ball joint AND a matching "spacer" looking metal piece that's also predrilled with same bolt pattern as ball joint. And of course the rubber grease cup. So does the cup slip into the spacer first and the into ball joint? Does ball joint go through the hole in upper control arm from above and the bolt on, or do you bolt it on from the bottomside of upper control arm . If it bolts on from bottomside, do you also bolt the spacer on from there, or does spacer go above control arn and ball joint under?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

xeroinfinity
11-22-2007, 07:42 AM
The spacer goes between the ball joint and upper control arm, exactly how the original was attached, I believe from the top.
Almost all replacement upper ball joints are installed this same way, with bolts.

J(Chicago)
12-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I have a few pictures on all of that from when I did it over the summer.
My front wheel bearing failed and ruined the whole spindle, so I replaced the whole knuckle, and front sway bar links.

I Hope you have a ball joint press and a grinder.

Add your comment to this topic!